Old 30th January 2023, 02:58 PM

Default New owner help!!

Hi guys
Hope everyone is well
Great forum for info

This is my second chance if owning an A8D2
I had brief spell with a 2.8 but have now found a low owner D2 3.7 FL
It is an aqua blue d2 facelift paint code ly5x

I’m hoping I could get some help on some issues with the car. I have notice some have resolved the more I’ve used the car
The car has sat for 6 years but the old man use to transport every year to get it MOTd and would rectify each advisory

1. Looking for auto dimming left mirror lens - but feel I will just have to buy the standard ones

2. Parking sensor light flashes with a long beep - possible dirt as hit a gravel truck on my way home and not had a chance to clean the car - will possibly need diagnostic to see which sensor?

3. Looking for the gloss triangle trims on the rear passenger doors - does anyone know the part number??

4. Sunroof doesn’t open when control fully turned open- need to turn it half first then full to make it open - tilt function works fine

5. Washer fluid warning constantly on?any fixed or any advice what the part number is for the sensor?

6. Cruise control not coming on - have read need to keep switching it on and off due to connectors

I have currently managed to source floor mats
I have fixed the water jets - one loose and one clogged up

Now it just needs a deep detail with all the moss on it
Will post pictures of progress

The blue one is my current daily
The R32 is my baby in the garage
The silver D2 is my old 2.8 PF

Thanks
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7BAD278C-F5AF-473A-BD91-881211F04AED.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	29237   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC5335CF-A289-42B4-BD02-A7C725D5EA27.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	29238   Click image for larger version

Name:	2682242C-83AA-4F89-98CB-32BF1DB6BBA7.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	29239  
Old 30th January 2023, 03:12 PM
Banned

Welcome.

Where do you live?

1. I will have 2 available by the end of next week.

2. Use VCDS, you will know it seconds. Forum sponsors probably have a good used one. Chinese sensors work ok for the rear sensors, for front ones only fit geniuine, i had to learn this the hard way.

3. What steamship said.

4. I would start with inspecting the switch.

5. Is the liquid actually there and washers working?

6. I would start with a VCDS scan.

Parts catalog is here: https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/

Last edited by Ronin; 30th January 2023 at 03:21 PM.
Old 30th January 2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyalmakda View Post
3. Looking for the gloss triangle trims on the rear passenger doors - does anyone know the part number??
Left outer 'corner trim' - Brilliant black - 4D0853273 Y9B
Left outer 'corner trim' - Black - 4D0853273B 5PV
Right outer 'corner trim' - Brilliant black - 4D0853274 Y9B
Right outer 'corner trim' - Black - 4D0853274B 5PV

You have to dismantle the door and remove the top section to get access to it. For those who have done it, they usually just sanded down the original and repainted. Check out the following PDF located in the D2 Common Faults > D2 Tech Dump thread (lots of excellent PDFs), starting at page 81: Service Manual General Body Assembly Exterior (Rep groups 50 55 57 58 60 63 64 66).pdf

If attempting this yourself, when removing the door card, there is a very small clip securing the bowden cable to the interior door handle. Try not to lose it (MikkiJayne has 3D printed replacements). The top section of door is held on by four bolts. Mark their position before removing for later when refitting. There is also a metal shim, which again you should mark the position of.

Quote:
4. Sunroof doesn’t open when control fully turned open- need to turn it half first then full to make it open - tilt function works fine
With it having sat for 6 years, hopefully the tracks just need lubricated with someone like lithium grease.

While you're here, pop along to the Introductions page and introduce yourself. It's also worth going into your User CP (at the top left of every page) and add some details like your location (handy to have if looking for help in your area) and also a signature, where you can add details like spec of car (ideal when posting a question, as then we don't have to ask about the spec of your car).

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 30th January 2023 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Link to PDF
Old 30th January 2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Welcome.

Where do you live?

1. I will have 2 available by the end of next week.

2. Use VCDS, you will know it seconds. Forum sponsors probably have a good used one. Chinese sensors work ok for the rear sensors, for front ones only fit geniuine, i had to learn this the hard way.

3. What steamship said.

4. I would start with inspecting the switch.

5. Is the liquid actually there and washers working?

6. I would start with a VCDS scan.

Parts catalog is here: https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/

Guys thanks for the reply

Would be interested in the mirror lens

I am based in Leicester

Will try update my profile

Thanks again

Will give the sensors a clean and if no luck will need diagnostic

Hopefully the more I get to use the sunroof the better it will be at opening but not had a chance with the cold weather and work

The reservoir is full so I guess it must be the sensor - anyway if cleaning the sensor?any instructions how to remove the reservoir or sensor?

Thanks again in advance
Old 30th January 2023, 03:39 PM

Washer fluid warning will be the pump - the sensor is built in to it. Often when they sit for a long time algae grows in the tank and then blocks the pump / sensor. Its under the right hand headlight, but best to take the tank out and clean it thoroughly with bleach / mould remover. Wear breathing protection / face mask as the tanks can grow legionella bacteria and you don't want to breath that in. Front right arch liner, right headlight, and air filter box out, 3x M6 bolts + 2 hoses and it tilts backwards out of the wheel well. Its usually worth buying new grommets for the washer pump as the old ones don't reseal after replacing the pump.
Old 30th January 2023, 03:53 PM

Another thread worth reading is the following one on the various drainage points around the car. This is especially relevant if the car has been left for six years, and doubly so if left outside:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16008

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 30th January 2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
6. Cruise control not coming on - have read need to keep switching it on and off due to connectors
As you say, hopefully just a bit of corrosion built up on the switch contacts over the years of not being used. Just go for a drive and keep flicking through the various cruise control switches. Hopefully after a few dozen cycles they'll work.

Old 30th January 2023, 04:18 PM

Using VCDS you can check whether the cruise control switches are operating, if corroded the signal can be intermittent or need firmer/repetitive pressure.
Some people have also recommended squirting contact cleaner into the stalk and then exercising all the switches vigorously.

Mine didn't work at all when I got the car, but repeated "exercise" has made them fairly reliable.

PS Which area of Leicester? I'm from there originally and still have relatives in various districts.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th January 2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Some people have also recommended squirting contact cleaner into the stalk and then exercising all the switches vigorously.

Mine didn't work at all when I got the car, but repeated "exercise" has made them fairly reliable.
I'll second that; I only managed to get mine working after spraying liberal amounts of Electrical Contact Cleaner and some repeated agitation/sliding of the cruise control stalk from side-to-side.

Cheers
John G
Old 30th January 2023, 05:39 PM

I’m from Oadby
Thanks for the tips will keep applying the buttons