A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 24th October 2020, 06:45 AM

Default Instrument cluster display

Does anyone know if and where I could get hold of a replacement lcd screen for my instrument cluster?

Thanks Frank
Old 24th October 2020, 07:46 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

You could try contacting Sacer, as I mentioned here. Don't know if Nick had any luck with them but maybe they'll consider sourcing/stocking D2 displays if there's enough demand.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 24th October 2020, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the reply Mark, missed that post somehow.
Old 30th October 2020, 08:31 AM

So, after contacting multiple cluster, ecu, general electronics repair companies it's looking a bit grim for the centre (color) display. None that replied, 4 of them, can source a spare part. All indicating a lack of demand / rarity. I suspect they will all be sourcing from the same suppliers, Chinese probably, so it looks like they just don't exist. Yet anyhow.

I did get one interesting reply though offering something I didn't think was possible.
----------------------
"Hi Frank,

We are unable to source the LCD, however we can source a donor unit and transfer the data across.

If you wish to proceed with this, please provide the part number for the instrument cluster."
-----------------------
For clarification I sent the below reply.
-----------------------
" Hi, thank you for your reply.*

When you say you can transfer all the data across to another unit do you mean for the immobiliser and also the millage? My car is a relatively low mileage example and I can't afford to have any mileage discrepancies. It would adversely affect the value of the car."
----------------------
And their reply
----------------------
" Hi Frank,

​All data in the original unit is transferred to the donor unit."
---------------------
I'll cut a very long story short here. When I bought my car 4 years or so ago it came with a butchered cluster. In order to hide an ABS fault someone had prised out the led. I had the cluster fixed but was left with a parasitic drain. The battery would go flat within days. The pcb in the cluster was damaged.

After months of research I could find NO 100% guaranteed way of swapping the cluster and maintaining the correct mileage reading. In the end I resorted to getting a local electronics repair company to swap the immo / millage chips from my cluster to a spare I had bought. All worked perfectly and now no parasitic drain. Well, all was perfect until the first winter came around and I found that the spare cluster has a faulty screen.

Now I know this can be done on plenty of other clusters but I thought the Audi's of this era were heavily encrypted and so made it almost impossible to use a second hand unit and correct the millage to that of your original.

So, back to the point, is it possible for a professional company to clone the cluster? It really is a high risk strategy if they screw it up.
Old 30th October 2020, 08:44 AM

From what I know about Immobiliser 3, the data is held on an eeprom in the cluster (with matching data in an eeprom in the ECU). If the cluster eeprom can be read and written on the board like the ECU one can, it should be relatively straightforward to read all the data from your current cluster and write it back to a replacement, without harming the original.

I would say that's much lower risk than swapping the actual chip, since with a clone you still have the old working cluster.
Old 30th October 2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
Now I know this can be done on plenty of other clusters but I thought the Audi's of this era were heavily encrypted and so made it almost impossible to use a second hand unit and correct the millage to that of your original.
Unfortunately you've been put through a process that wasn't required, as a secondhand instrument cluster can easily be altered to replicate the original one. Mine had the issue of the smaller displays having fully on pixels, which over time increased in number and hiding some of the digits, so I got a secondhand one from the forum sponsors and then took it to an Audi dealership who coded it into the car. That was four years ago and from memory I think I had to take all my keys with me.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 30th October 2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
o I got a secondhand one from the forum sponsors and then took it to an Audi dealership who coded it into the car. That was four years ago and from memory I think I had to take all my keys with me.
Did you have to replace the keys or was the new cluster able to re-learn them? According to the documentation for Immo3, the key transponder is only able to be coded once so if the cluster is changed it needs new uncoded transponders
Old 30th October 2020, 03:34 PM

Easily done. If Sean remembers, I acquired a clean fully functional D2 cluster from him.

Local car electronics repair company were able to lift all data incl immobiliser/key data/mileage from my tatty cluster and drop it in to the donor unit.

Was completely plug n play, all keys worked without any further issues.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 30th October 2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Did you have to replace the keys or was the new cluster able to re-learn them? According to the documentation for Immo3, the key transponder is only able to be coded once so if the cluster is changed it needs new uncoded transponders
No, didn't have to replace any of them. Don't know the exact procedure but I think the dealer just wanted to ensure that all the keys would still function with the new cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post
Easily done. If Sean remembers, I acquired a clean fully functional D2 cluster from him.

Local car electronics repair company were able to lift all data incl immobiliser/key data/mileage from my tatty cluster and drop it in to the donor unit.

Was completely plug n play, all keys worked without any further issues.
Forgot about that, and I think that is just what the dealership do i.e. copy all the data from one cluster to the other. I only resorted to the dealer as I didn't know anyone else who could do it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 31st October 2020, 10:59 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep you updated.

If you take a close look at the image attached you can just see some corrosion around a couple of the contacts. I think someone on this forum mentioned that might be a possible couse. Depending on what happens with Lockdown I might just take it along to the place I used last time and get them to re-make the connections. See if it make any difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201031-105524_Gallery.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	24311