A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 1st October 2023, 12:59 AM

Default New tonearm

Just updated my turntable with a new (albeit 1970's) tonearm fully refurbed and updated on my 1973 turntable and sounding awesome:

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 1st October 2023, 08:47 AM

Hi Andy, not that I'm an audio expert in any way but interested in what arm that is, it looks awesome.

I've recently returned to playing vinyl after a near 40 year gap and just bought a Trio 1033 TT. Loving it!
Old 1st October 2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saff View Post
Hi Andy, not that I'm an audio expert in any way but interested in what arm that is, it looks awesome.

I've recently returned to playing vinyl after a near 40 year gap and just bought a Trio 1033 TT. Loving it!
No problem.
The arm is an Audio Technica AT1010 from the early 80's
It has been tweaked by a chap so that the (better) cable goes from the tags to the base of the arm so reducing the connectors and the bearings have also been upgraded (this is his Mk8 version so he has been tweaking these for some time and knows his onions).

The turntable is a Technics SP10 Mk2 which has the motor unit sprayed black and it sits in the original Obsidian plinth, dates from the late '70s I believe.

Best I have heard ever (and I have heard a lot)

The Trio 1033 is a great turntable so enjoy.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 1st October 2023, 03:38 PM

Looks good and i expect it sounds as good as it looks

For Saff: You wont regret returning to Vinyl. I mostly buy vinyl now and it does sound great - especially the re-mastered stuff on heavyweight vinyl.
Old 1st October 2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Looks good and i expect it sounds as good as it looks

For Saff: You wont regret returning to Vinyl. I mostly buy vinyl now and it does sound great - especially the re-mastered stuff on heavyweight vinyl.
It does sound good so thanks.

I don't buy as much vinyl as I used to as the cost they are now charging is stupid and 2nd hand prices have gone silly to.

Moving more into CD as the prices are still fair and a good CD player is a reasonable cost (got my last one for free )

Do prefer the sound of vinyl to CD though especially on my rig

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 1st October 2023, 09:59 PM

Thanks David. have a couple of new LPs and a few second hand. Hoping for more with my birthday fast approaching.

I do love the vinyl sound but I think it's as much nostalgia as anything else. I will buy vinyl rather than CD in future.
Old 2nd October 2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
Just updated my turntable with a new (albeit 1970's) tonearm fully refurbed and updated on my 1973 turntable and sounding awesome:

Nice : I've (finally!) mated my beloved Technics SL10 with a full Optonica set (amp, tape deck and tuner) - along with a rather nice Sony CD player ('cos Optonica weren't around by the time CDs were invented .

All sounds rather lovely playing through my little Quads in my lounge, and makes (most of... ) my other vintage Japanese kit a bit redundant now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Optonica & SL10.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	29984  

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.

Last edited by tintin; 2nd October 2023 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Photo added
Old 2nd October 2023, 06:39 PM

Nice one with the Optonica kit - should sound very nice as it was premium kit in its day

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 6th February 2024, 04:15 PM

Wow.
That's a great looking TT.

I consider myself fortunate to have a SL QL-15 linear tracker- but yours is on another level!
Old 7th February 2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wallwork View Post
Wow.
That's a great looking TT.

I consider myself fortunate to have a SL QL-15 linear tracker- but yours is on another level!
I love my SL10: the perfect blend of hi-fi and Japanese build quality and style (I'm also a fan of my Mitsubishi LT-5V - which is even rarer - but much more temperamental...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL10 photo.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	30135  

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.