A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 4th July 2021, 02:11 PM
Banned

In the doc posted by ainarssems (thanks!!) it says that the tank should read 84L with needle slightly above highest scale division which mine is, so it looks like i have to take the fuel sendero out and inspect it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	214
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	26683  
Old 4th July 2021, 05:25 PM

I believe it was an option to get the larger tank in the V6, which was fitted as standard to UK models according to Prestige who have taken many of them apart.
Old 4th July 2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
UK models all have the 90 litre tank.
Is there a difference between LHD and RHD tanks due to the filler? Would this explain why Audi didn't bother making the smaller ones for RHD?

And does this apply for all models or just after the facelift? I recall reading in older (PF) UK brochures that only the S8 was 90 litres?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th July 2021, 05:55 PM

The filler and tank are the same between RHD and LHD.

I don't know if it applies to PF actually, as I was investigating a tank swap for Big Red.
Old 5th July 2021, 02:15 PM

Is there any difference between 2wd and 4wd tanks?

Nick
Old 5th July 2021, 02:29 PM

No, same part number for all 6 & 8 cyl petrol models PF and FL, so they all have a 90 litre tank apparently, from 1994-2002. 4D0 201 055AB.

Only the W12 and diesels are different numbers. Diesels because they have different fuel systems, and W12 probably forged from unobtanium in the heart of a dying star.
Old 5th July 2021, 06:57 PM
Banned

I've had a look at the fuel pump assembly again and I lifted it out and lowered back in exactly where the 2 marks meet but it still doesn't feel right to me, I'll try and get the sender out and get an endoscope to ensure its really seated properly... its impossible to be certain without it, fuel tank at least on the pump side is full of fuel which is good news.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210705_192205.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	665.0 KB
ID:	26685  
Old 6th July 2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
No, same part number for all 6 & 8 cyl petrol models PF and FL, so they all have a 90 litre tank apparently, from 1994-2002. 4D0 201 055AB.

Only the W12 and diesels are different numbers. Diesels because they have different fuel systems, and W12 probably forged from unobtanium in the heart of a dying star.
Interesting. So when my car tells me I have run out of fuel (miles to run = 0…… 5 miles back) but I can “only” get 72L in, I wasn’t living as dangerously as I thought I was!

Prefer it this way round mind!

Nick
Old 6th July 2021, 06:39 PM

The D2 fuel system is a mystery to pretty much everyone. I tried buying eight 8s in case it had something to do with sourcery, but I'm still none the wiser

Big Red alternates between running to 0 miles happily but only taking 3/4 of a tank to fill up, or taking a full tank but then running out with 55 miles remaining. There's no logic to which she will choose on any given day, except if I keep a gallon can in the spare wheel well, in which case she'll run to 0. I'm sure if I take it out, she'll run out at 55 miles again.
Old 6th July 2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkijayne View Post
the d2 fuel system is a mystery to pretty much everyone. I tried buying eight 8s in case it had something to do with sourcery, but i'm still none the wiser .
:rofl: