A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items

For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items For the personal sale of Vw/Audi parts, tools, vouchers, accessories, anything that isn't an actual car. Absolutely no commercial listings or breaking / bulk / repeated sale of parts or services.

Old 16th July 2021, 08:05 PM
Banned

Default 2.8 Alternator for sale or swap

I have a refurbished 2.8 alternator that I'm willing to swap for a set of front wheel arch liners including the bits of trim that cover up the space in-between them inside the wheel arch (see attached pic)

Link to alternator with full description: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265227069115

Alternatively I can sell the alternator on its own for a very discounted price to a forum member...

Any offers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	26719  
Old 17th July 2021, 10:41 AM

I have a 2002 S8, I'm always on the look out for spares. Do you know if its the same alternator?

Mine is a 150Amp but I can't check part numbers at the moment as my laptop has died.

Thanks Frank
Old 17th July 2021, 11:31 AM

Not quite the same - the rectifier pack is mounted slightly differently so that the cooling duct points in the wrong direction. It will bolt up just fine, but the cooling duct just has to be left open to the engine bay, instead of getting fresh air from the fog grille aperture
Old 17th July 2021, 12:26 PM

Thanks for that MJ
Old 17th July 2021, 12:30 PM
Banned

Yeah it's only for the 2.8 I'm afraid. V8 alternators are very very common though compared to 2.8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210710_141822.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	26721  
Old 23rd July 2021, 03:48 PM

Very discounted?

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 9th June 2022, 02:12 PM

Hello again,

Do you still have this alternator?

My car is just coming our after a cambelt change. Should I consider taking your alternator as a cover for a likely to fauil part. [I noted your comment to my welcome page].

Do you have the thin armrests in the front? I have a spare pair.

Regards
Old 9th June 2022, 08:59 PM
Banned

2.8's alternator are twice as likely to fail as V8 ones because on top of the regulator or slip rings wearing, your the one way clutch can fail.

Mine failed at 143k miles without a warning, (but it also was on its second regulator attached by someone with dry wall screws) I just got a low battery light intermittently, then the fuel pump failed because it kept working off of the low battery voltage each time the battery light came on.
This is because the one way clutch started freewheeling both ways instead of driving the rotor.

I refurbed the alternator in my car with new bearings, regulator, slip rings and most importantly the OEM INA one way clutch that should last another 150k.. and that would be my advice to you, it will save you all the other fuel pump hassle and the car dying on you when you least expect it.

I don't have the alternator in the link but I have another one that I'm refurbing at the moment and it should be ready by the end of next week. PM me if you are interested

Last edited by Ronin; 9th June 2022 at 09:07 PM.