A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 30th July 2022, 04:25 PM

Default Has anyone tried this Navinc unit...?

https://www.navinc.nl/20195672

I have the stock Symphony II and was hoping to find an Apple Carplay option but with an OEM look.

Was thinking to go the RNE-E route, then add this unit linked above.

Has anyone tried this unit from Navinc?
Old 30th July 2022, 06:47 PM

I came across this unit about a month ago, but couldn't find anywhere that actually listed them for sale. I tried about 20 different sites (in three different countries) listed on their website before giving up. I did find a couple of forum threads, related to the TT, but they were from around 2018 and mentioned that the units cost around 699 Euro.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 30th July 2022, 07:33 PM
Banned

Just get an an android head unit with built in carplay.
Carplay is designed to be used on touch screens and rnse doesn't have one, it will be a gimmick especially for twice the price
Old 31st July 2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Just get an an android head unit with built in carplay.
Carplay is designed to be used on touch screens and rnse doesn't have one, it will be a gimmick especially for twice the price
Yeah I was just reading your thread on the Android one from Icebox you installed.

If I may:

(1) If I can live with the popping sounds from the Bose amp and am not an audiophile, any other downside to using this HU with the Bose amp? Risk of damage over time, etc? Or just annoyance factor?

(2) Did you ever get plug and play functionality of the backup cam or did you have to do some extra work to get it to function properly?

(3) With Apple Carplay, can I use iPhone based nav like Waze or Google Maps, eliminating the need to install the GPS antenna?

(4) Are you still happy with it, what, two years in now?

I see that Icebox still lists the unit and they still claim it works with Bose-- I wonder if they have sorted these issues out or just never updated the description.

Were you happy with Icebox's tech support? You mentioned they were going through their contact in China but did you at least feel like Icebox did everything they could to help you out?

Thanks again for that long detailed write up, I am seriously considering going this route myself if these units are truly still available and can ship to the US.
Old 31st July 2022, 08:30 PM
Banned

1. Popping sounds - I got rid of my bose amp as it has floating ground and not common ground which makes it incompatible with all the aftermarket head units out there. You use a Bose adapter which gets rid of all the startup pops and bangs but reduces sound quality, lots and lots of D2 live with this compromise.

2. Backup camera is working perfectly and is mounted centrally in the number plate tray, very OEM and stealthy look.

3.When using carplay/android auto everything is done through the phone so you don't need the GPS antenna mounted in the car.

4. I am 100% happy with it. The current up to date version that they sell has more memory and CPU cores, built in carplay/auto and also displays to FIS (the screen on the cluster) icebox auto has great support over email and phone and can sell spares like screens or front panels if you break them

I wil probably be upgrading to the latest version for Xmas.