A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 1st May 2019, 02:51 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
There's a couple on ebay if you want to hoover them up
I’ve nabbed one of them. Thanks for the tip-off!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 1st May 2019, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the reminder, I grabbed one too
Mine is due in June/July so good timing.
I hope it turns out that Mann used to make the oem filter anyway that would be good.
Old 12th January 2020, 09:24 AM

After doing sterling work as a loan car / daily driver, General Vod is back in the workshop for some pre-sale maintenance before he goes off to live with Bert

He needs a bit of a bath too, after bimbling around the lanes of Devon for a couple of months!

The first job was suspension (which creaks) and brakes (which squeal). The original calipers were pretty crusty and one of them was partially seized which explains the squeaking.

Mike came over to help and between us we swapped both complete front corners from Sergey's 3.7 as this was all OE parts in excellent condition. As Vod had a groaning bearing, and Sergey's front setup was the steel hubs from the 20" cars, we swapped the whole lot - all the arms, tie rods, uprights, bearings, discs and calipers. The only parts to stay were the springs and dampers as Sergey's was a sport and Vod isn't. As a daily for wafting around the countryside on 17" wheels and balloon tyres, there's no need for sport suspension Vod's factory sport recaros and comfort suspension is a lovely combination.

We got the suspension finished just after lunch so pulled the front end to do the timing belt.

Last done in 2010 - he's done 60K miles since then. As with the rest of the car, everything in here is in really good condition and was fitted properly by someone who cared about the quality of their work. Off-brand parts though, which will be replaced by INA.

The first time I got Vod on the lift I could see the telltale pink stains which are indicative of a failed oil cooler pipe

Unusually the pipe was still intact, but it was leaking around the o-ring in the block. You can see the pink stain again here where its been dripping

Finished here for Saturday night

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	22730   Click image for larger version

Name:	38.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	22731   Click image for larger version

Name:	39.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	22732   Click image for larger version

Name:	40.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	22733   Click image for larger version

Name:	41.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	22734   Click image for larger version

Name:	42.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	22735   Click image for larger version

Name:	43.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	22736   Click image for larger version

Name:	44.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	22737   Click image for larger version

Name:	45.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	22738  
Old 12th January 2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The first time I got Vod on the lift I could see the telltale pink stains which are indicative of a failed oil cooler pipe
Is it worth doing this whilst doing the timing belt change, even if the existing pipe is not leaking? On the Audiworld site, it says it takes around 7 hours, which seems an awful long time.

O-rings? The pipe has four grooves, but the Audiworld site seems to only show two being used on the pipe and one on another part. It also mentions another o-ring they suggest replacing.

This is the bit that has me confused:

3 each O rings, part #077-121-437.
1 each oil seal/gasket, part #077-115-441.

I've provided a link to the page in question below:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...reinstall.html

Where do you get the o-rings from? I'm finding dealer prices of £7 each, so was thinking of just buying a metal pipe with o-rings provided instead, like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273203362499

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 12th January 2020, 03:30 PM

It might take 7 hours as a standalone job if you stop a lot for tea and biscuits, but once the front end is off its less than 2 hours extra work, most of which is selecting the right combination of hex bits and extension bars to get to all the bolts. I do this pipe as a matter of course on an engine-out service since it's simple to get to.

A word of warning trying to do it with the engine in - the bolts have shallow socket heads (simply for the schadenfreude - there's no technical need for it) and while they are not done up to massive torque, they do have a considerable amount of stiction. On the engine stand I will always give them a sharp tap with a hammer before taking them out, otherwise they have a tendency to round off. If you rounded one in the car then its game over and engine out to recover it. Its almost impossible to hammer the hex key in to them because the chassis leg is in the way so I either used a long punch or an extension bar to just shock the top of each bolt, before tapping the hey key in gently. They all came out that way without too much of a fight.

The factory plastic pipe has a single o-ring at each end, and the water pipe which connects the cooler to the back of the engine has another of the same o-ring. The metal one has two each end. Your link is the same one I have in my grey S8 btw. I buy the o-rings 20 at a time from a bearing shop for pence each rather than paying the silly dealer price.

The oil cooler seal isn't available on its own any more. You can only buy it as part of a kit (077198405) which is four times the price and full of stuff you don't need.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 12th January 2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12th January 2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
It might take 7 hours ...
Great info and thanks. Will be printed out to go along with the full instructions on the job, so I have no excuses.

I did come across that seal kit, but couldn't figure out what all the bits were for.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 12th January 2020, 07:55 PM

Not much progress today as I'm waiting on parts. Got the oil cooler back on and the timing gear off.

The rest of the time was spent dismantling the alternator to replace the bearings as they are very noisy, but I didn't get any photos. More tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	46.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	22740  
Old 13th January 2020, 09:33 PM

The alternator dismantled and awaiting bearings:

They are just standard bearings which hopefully will arrive on Tuesday.

This is the INA belt kit that I use. Part number 530 0452 10, usually around £240.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	47.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	22742   Click image for larger version

Name:	48.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	22743   Click image for larger version

Name:	49.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	22744  
Old 14th January 2020, 10:19 AM

Default I have fixed a starter motor in my C4 100 before. People told me I should not bother.

My starter motor repair

Most people, and mechanics for that matter, have seemed to be hell bent on suggesting to me that the only remedy is to remove and replace these sort of components. Kudos to you MJ for refurbishing instead of throwing away the alternator!

I am surprised to see how costly the timing belt is on these cars compared to the C4's I have been accustomed to servicing.

Last edited by C4R 100N; 14th January 2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 14th January 2020, 10:23 AM

That's a good price for the INA kit. The parts when ordered separately are (as many will know) in the order of £600.