A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 25th May 2017, 06:16 PM

Default W12 coolant temperature sensor G62 replacement

Hi All.
Good day to all of you.
Need some recommendations.
From 6 months I am happy (most of the time) to own 2004 A8 W12 engine, but as usually there needs to be time that some engine work needs to be done.
My problem is that I don't know many workshop and engine who I can trust in East Midlands.
Got one thing what needs​ to be done ASAP, that's coolant temperature sensor (G62), instruction saying, take engine out, but on USA forums few People been able to do that without taking engine out. I need to found someone in Leicester area who will try to replace that sensor for me without taking engine out (to reduce costs of replacement) I did try to do that on my driveway but I stuck - can't remove old sensor from pipe as it's stuck in pipe. Any one who knows who can help me?
Old 25th May 2017, 08:51 PM

Welcome ...... afraid I cannot provide the info you need about trusted workshops but, no doubt, someone will be along soon to advise you.
Old 25th May 2017, 09:32 PM

If you do find someone who might be willing to do it, print out the instructions from the US forum and ask them to confirm they can do it.

There was someone in the D2 section who was also having issues getting the coolant sensor removed after removing the clip, but it seemed seized in place. I'm not a mechanic, and I don't know the consequences, but what if you removed the securing clip and then turned the engine over (not starting it). Being a pressurised system, would it be enough to force the sensor out? Apart from losing a little water, and ensuring you have something above the sensor to stop it taking flight, it's a possibility.

I don't know, so please don't try it unless someone more mechanically minded could clarify it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 26th May 2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
If you do find someone who might be willing to do it, print out the instructions from the US forum and ask them to confirm they can do it.

There was someone in the D2 section who was also having issues getting the coolant sensor removed after removing the clip, but it seemed seized in place. I'm not a mechanic, and I don't know the consequences, but what if you removed the securing clip and then turned the engine over (not starting it). Being a pressurised system, would it be enough to force the sensor out? Apart from losing a little water, and ensuring you have something above the sensor to stop it taking flight, it's a possibility.

I don't know, so please don't try it unless someone more mechanically minded could clarify it.
Ha. I did try, even I go step further, from a week I am driving without that security clip and nothing happens. Got Idea to cut out power from radiator and allow water to go up to more 90° as then pressure in cooling system should go up to high level, maybe then sensor will go out like a bullet from a gun.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromko View Post
Ha. I did try, even I go step further, from a week I am driving without that security clip and nothing happens. Got Idea to cut out power from radiator and allow water to go up to more 90° as then pressure in cooling system should go up to high level, maybe then sensor will go out like a bullet from a gun.
Wow, hard to believe that it's stuck that tight. What about spraying around it with something like WD40 over a period of time to see if that helps. I'm assuming that it's something like corrosion that's holding it firm, and maybe the WD40 can seep in and loosen it. Trouble is, I don't know what effect the WD40 would have on the O-ring.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds