A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 9th August 2017, 08:28 PM

Default D3 S8? Read this...

So the Carbon buildup issue on the FSI is well known as are the inlet flaps snapping (mine hand not) however, as a precautionary measure I booked the car into VRS Northampton this week for a full carbon clean, inlet flap delete, Remap and dyne's before and after.

To me the car never really felt down on power, always pulled nicely and was a joy to drive, however, the dyno revealed a different story as the car only made 362bhp and 382lb ft - quite different from what its meant to do as stock power is 444bhp new.

This is what was inside:

https://youtu.be/wC1VrqelHWQ

So they set about cleaning it all out, deleted the flaps and bolted it back together:

They chucked her on the dyno and she made 420bhp - much more respectable, however a problem revealed itself when the inlet flap motor was burnt out, yes the flaps were deleted, but the burnt out motor and sensor had logged an error that wouldn't clear without being fixed, a new part was sourced and dropped in, error cleared, back on the dyno and set about remapping.

Initially they dropped an APR off the shelf map on it and she made and extra... 4bhp - Will decided to sack the map off and custom map the car - the result:

480bhp & 398lb ft of Torque - a massive 118bhp up on the amount of power she was making when I dropped her off, the new power output is more impressive when you consider nigh on 400hp of it is available at the wheels.

Needless to say, it fully showcases that if you have an S8, its worth doing the carbon clean, flap delete and remap. Its shocking that FSI's do this in the first place, B7 RS4s are well known for it, but I certainly didn't expect mine to be so bad given its history, the way its been looked after and how I drive it.

The drive home was... boring, traffic all the way, nose to tail, horrendous rain... the car felt much smoother though, but I didn't get about 40, so tomorrow I'll be out for a proper blast

EDIT: Dyno run video - https://youtu.be/kFbj66fHAK4

Last edited by 1781cc; 10th August 2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 9th August 2017, 08:52 PM

Very nice

Big question is how much?

Old 9th August 2017, 09:03 PM

£1250 all in, more than reasonable IMO
Old 9th August 2017, 09:08 PM

Thanks very much for sharing the experience, looking forward to hearing more about your experiences driving your "refreshed" S8

I saw first hand the state of the internals of my manifold and inlets when it was stripped for repair, and also saw the effort that went into cleaning it all up. I had that work done exactly three years ago and I've only done 15,000 miles since so can't really justify the cost of going down the same route as you've done. Having read of many failures since mine I think it's fully justifiable to have it done if the manifold hasn't been touched yet and the car has done north of 80,000 miles (they seem to fail at 100k+) The power gains you've seen from the extra work you've had done would certainly tempt me to consider it in future if I keep the S8 for a few years longer

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 9th August 2017, 09:10 PM

Audi technician told me that internally FSI was known as F@ckin Stupid Idea and so it is.
Well done on the dyno results

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 9th August 2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
£1250 all in, more than reasonable IMO
Do you have a breakdown for the work as a few of us now have already de-coked and might like the other stages separately.

Old 9th August 2017, 09:17 PM

Great result and thanks for sharing. It's good to see these brilliant FSI engines can be maintained.
Old 9th August 2017, 09:19 PM

I think that if you've already had the work done then I wouldn't bother redoing it yet either, certainly 15k isnt enough to warranty it, but with the few good S8s that are out there in the wild at the moment it's worth anyone considering one or having just bought one, going and getting it done.

I'm literally astounded at the difference in power output between the before and after, the FSI setup is a complete joke, I know why they did it but it's short sighted. The car has now done 74k miles, if I still have her at 130,000 I'll do it again.

Cost wise for individual bits it's best to contact Aaron or Will at VRS on 01604 705247

It'll be worth noting that mine has a Miltek Non-Res cat back as the only other mod

Last edited by 1781cc; 9th August 2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10th August 2017, 09:17 AM

So with 160k miles, I should probably think seriously about doing this. Or selling it...

The only thing stopping me is that I do not consider it lacking in power in any way. More power might mean less MPG. And it does get a regular Italian tune up
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 10th August 2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kele View Post
So with 160k miles, I should probably think seriously about doing this. Or selling it...

The only thing stopping me is that I do not consider it lacking in power in any way. More power might mean less MPG. And it does get a regular Italian tune up
Trust me, the 25K miles I have done in mine have been far from light, I boot it all the time, the problem is that the fuel doesn't flow over the inlet manifold, so it doesn't get cleaned, newer FSI engines switch between two sets of injectors and clean on the second inject pass, these engines never do hence they build up no matter what, its a design flaw.

I didn't think mine was slow, but clearly its been gradually going down on power and I never noticed, probably because it was down when I first got her.

I've been told to expect better fuel consumption anyway because the car will be able to breath better.

Incidentally, if your car is solid and done 160,000 whats to recommend selling her? how many miles have you done in that time?