A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 27th April 2011, 10:27 AM

Default Something to make oil changes simpler

For anyone like me that isn't comfortable with the idea of Audi variable servicing. This oil extractor pump should make oil changes a doddle. (I'm actually at the BMW dealer having my car serviced as I type this on my IPad )
It will stop me having to get underneath the car for oil/filter changes. I think you Audi boys will still need to crawl under to get to the oil filter (mines at the top of the engine along with where you fill the ATF up from )
You will probably need an 8l one too. Anyway, thought I'd share as have heard very good things about these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4L-OIL-FLUID-E...#ht_1021wt_689
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 27th April 2011, 10:45 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I'd heard some time ago that these things were not a good idea as they tended to leave any 'gubbins' sitting in the bottom of the sump, whereas a proper drain (with the oil warm) tended to flush the gubbins away with the oil.

But I have my own way of making oil and filter changes easy - take it to a good garage!
Old 27th April 2011, 10:49 AM

Has anyone managed a oil change at home without ramp or pit? If you have well done, and what did you use to catch the oil in?
Old 27th April 2011, 10:53 AM

Well my plan is to get a proper service as you would at normal manufacturers intervals and do one myself in-between with one of these things. Should cost what £40? If you get your bits from TPS...
I've done a few on older straight six BMs and a D2 using a drive on ramp thingi years ago.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 27th April 2011, 11:05 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Ooooooo a gadget. Must have, must have.................
Changing your oil every 5k or so has got to be good for the engine; although I still recommend draining to get all the gubbins out, flushing and refilling. This would be good for an in-between service

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 27th April 2011, 11:08 AM

I have never had the 8 serviced by anyone always done it myself, but i'm lucky enough to know someone with garage equipment, the use of a proper lift to get under is a blessing, that with a proper oil chatcher makes things easier.

Filter from Audi was £16 something a bit steep but does come with 2 sump plug washers and o ring. I don't have TPS access.
Old 5th May 2011, 12:13 PM

I bought a MV7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus (http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp), shop around and you should pay a bit less than £100 delivered

There's a few reasons why I chose this over the Pela extractor, and any other :
  • The capacity (8.5l) allows for the '8 to be drained in one go without the need to empty several times for each drain.
  • The external vacuum pump is not likely to get contaminated (the Pela has it internal to the main tube)
  • There is a small 'foot' on the base that can be lodged between the tyre and floor to stop it falling over as they get top heavy when full and could be knocked over
  • The build quality of the Mityvac seems better

I was always sceptical about these devices and bought it to do an interim oil and filter change between services. On my first few changes I did remove the sump plug on all the cars I did and got no other oil out of the sump, plus I did the reverse experiment and drained from the sump plug and managed to get more out with the Mityvac, though it was a very small amount.

I've now done several changes on numerous cars and found changing oil, and filter, is now a breeze and takes significantly less than an hour and does not requires the jacking up of the car, removing the belly pan etc. Disposal is a breeze too as you can pressurise the cylinder and pump it back out. To clean, once empty just suck in some brake cleaner and give it a swirl around and pump out the waste.

My theory is, many cars now have oil filters that can be replaced from the top of the engine so the sumps are probably engineered so you can 'change from the top' and to have the lowest point below the dipstick tube to get most of the oil out, also with modern oils there shouldn't be too much sludge or contaminants in the engine.
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles

Last edited by Godders; 5th May 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 5th May 2011, 02:15 PM

For anybody that's tempted this is where I got mine, it was delivered next day too

http://www.premiertools.co.uk/produc..._than_ebay.htm

I'm in no way affiliated with these guys but I found them the cheapest in the UK when I was looking to buy mine
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles
Old 5th May 2011, 10:58 PM

Handy things and used more and more by dealers but I would NEVER use one myself.
If you looked at the internal shape of the lower sump pan on the V8's there's afr too many knooks and crannies to get all the oil out. Also the crud and tea-leaf build up is not removed. I have only ever seen bad results myself- not trying to scare people off, it's your own choice at end of day but believe me, I'd never do it. If you're going to the trouble of changing your oil its worth that tiny bit of extra effort to drain it - or ofcourse, take to a garage (or me ....) but seriosuly it's not good!
Audi oil pump pick up pipes are far too prone to blockage for this to be a good thing. I would advise a full flush, using a repuatable treatment (I use Forte) every 10k miles or every year. This is perfectly acceptable but wouldn;t wait the 18-20k or 2 years LongLife servcing allows!
Old 9th May 2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Has anyone managed a oil change at home without ramp or pit? If you have well done, and what did you use to catch the oil in?
I have done 3 oil changes now on my uneven crazy-paved front 'garden' using race ramps (foam ramps). I tried stands before with my previous car and never really felt safe with them. I got one of those cheap oil pans from machine mart.
couple of these for the front:
http://www.raceramps.com/roll-ups.aspx
and these for the back to sort of level it out:
http://www.raceramps.com/trak-jax.aspx

edit: oops, that does qualify as a ramp theres no way I could fit under there without a ramp.

Last edited by Goran; 9th May 2011 at 07:10 PM.