A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 13th October 2014, 08:12 AM

Thanks for all the advice gents - I knew there'd be plenty of experience on here! This is only the 2nd laptop I've ever owned for personal use - my old Vaio lasted 10 years and this one I've had for 4 years or so. I'm generally pretty gentle with my stuff!

My mate who sat on it some time ago weighed North of 100kg at the time and didn't even notice he'd done it till I asked him where he'd moved the laptop to when he sat on the chair.....answer 'nowhere'

Have attached a couple of pics - I couldn't get it to show, but with the screen off you can see a line diagonally across the screen so it's defo cracked. Have connected it to an external screen and it works through that.

HP's own guide instructs you to:

Remove the battery (see Battery on page 59), and then remove the following components:
● Optical drive (see Optical drive on page 60)
● Hard drive (see Hard drive on page 62)
● WLAN module (see WLAN module on page 67)
● Keyboard (see Keyboard on page 70)
● Top cover (see Top cover on page 74)
● System board (see System board on page 85)

but that then leaves you with the screen flat on the bench for removing the front cover etc. That video above I can follow

The screen spec should be for a 'BrightView' LED display 1366x768. I generally use it indoors except if I'm on the Eurostar and want to watch a film. Are the matte screens entirely identical apart from the finish? Any downsides in terms of brightness from going to the matte?

I've ended up working from home today due to childcare issues so may see if I can get the old screen out. Fortunately I don't actually need to use the laptop!

Cheers all - much appreciated

Adrian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4156.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	9279   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4158.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	9280  

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 13th October 2014, 08:52 AM

I just had a quick scan of that video and note that the guy says for earlier models you had to take the laptop apart significantly just to get at the screws retaining the bezel at the bottom.
So I guess that's why you thought you needed to do all that work, but it looks like you're lucky and won't need to.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th October 2014, 09:12 AM

Hiya

It's the dv6 manual that tells you that's how you should do it - seems they want to try and put you off trying to DIY rather than get their service dept to do it, or buy a new laptop lol

I suspect the manual tells you to do it that way because it's covering other parts like wifi antenna or web cam that you can't disconnect without pulling the thing apart completely.

I'm off out to the garage to find my trim tool set as I reckon that'll help with getting the bezzle off without damaging it!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 13th October 2014, 09:17 AM

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the bezel, it sounds like it's held mostly with clips and double-sided tape.
Different if you're doing a job professionally for someone else, but this is an old laptop owned by you, not an A8!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th October 2014, 11:03 AM

Well it's in pieces managed to break a couple of the clips on the bezel but I suspect there's enough left for it to work just fine!

Have ordered a matte screen as per link on the previous page - their video of how to remove it is a damn site shorter than the youtube one and covers it nicely.

It's only up the road by Heathrow but am having it couriered as it'd probably cost me more than £10 to drive there and get it! Hopefully will be here Weds and I can get it working again....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4164.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	380.8 KB
ID:	9281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4165.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	9282  

Old 13th October 2014, 11:25 AM

Easy
Job half done. Yeah, the guy from youtube is boring as hell, but thanks god its an easy fix and no further guide is needed.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th October 2014, 07:29 AM

Does anyone know what the really sticky narrow double sided tape, that feels a lot like the stuff they use to seal junk mail or attach bank cards to letters with, is called?

In the pic attached it's the translucent stuff on the metal frame of the screen.

I've tried removing it from the old screen to re-use but it's just falling apart. Given I've broken a clip or 2 I'm keen to make sure there's enough on there to keep the bezel fully home, otherwise my OCD will get the better of me!

Adrian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030326.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	9291  

Old 15th October 2014, 08:30 AM

Use this Adrian
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-Double...item3ce3eac732

They do 1mm, 2mm, 5mm and 10mm as well, but yours looks like 5mm.
I can send you today few meters of 2mm if you want which is more than enough.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten

Last edited by M-A8; 15th October 2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 15th October 2014, 08:51 AM

Cheers bud - have ordered some of the 5mm stuff from the ebay link

The side of the screen is 5mm wide so that's perfect. I can use a bit more than was on there to make sure the bezel stays in place where the clips have broken!

I fitted the new screen last night - it turned up earlier than expected - and it's working perfectly but have left the bezel off for now as don't want to keep trying to prize it off the new screen!

It's definitely darker on full brightness than the old one, but ran a few tests and there's no dead pixels on delivery and the picture quality is good so I'm happy

Adrian

Old 15th October 2014, 08:54 AM

Result.