A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 12th October 2014, 06:40 PM

Default HP laptop screen

Hi folks

Went out to scan the S5 with VCDS tonight and the laptop screen has cracked right across the middle

I can see the damage behind the plastic cover when the screen is off - a friend of mine sat on the bloody thing a year or so back (he isn't light) so I'm not entirely surprised it's finally failed!

Is it worth trying to replace it or should I just bin it? It's an HP Pavilion dv6-6052ea and although I bought it 2nd hand it was pretty pricey new. It's probably 4 years old now

The screen is supposedly available but it looks like about £90 and EVERYTHING has to come off the chassis before you can even think about removing the screen and bezel!

Thought I'd ask how feasible/worthwhile it might be with our resident pros in the house, or if I should cut my losses.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 12th October 2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
The screen is supposedly available but it looks like about £90 and EVERYTHING has to come off the chassis before you can even think about removing the screen and bezel!
I'm surprised at that.
I've replaced inverters, backlights (when separate) and screens on a few laptops and it hasn't ever been that difficult.
Have you got a link to the instructions that imply such a major dismantling is required?

I've usually found replacement screens for non-current laptops are available for £30 to £50 if you look around. Might be used or non-OEM though.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th October 2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12th October 2014, 07:26 PM

Thanks - I think you're spot on. The HP service manual suggests a full strip down to access the screen, but a couple of you tube videos suggest it's much simpler than that! Screen buying looks like a lottery of tat and refurb/used stock - will have to research who has a good rep....

The screen HP part number is 640445-001

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 12th October 2014, 07:59 PM

Hi Adrian
With the spec of the laptop and current value of it in full working order I wouldn't cut the losses.
It can be done without the full strip down. I can't understand why would you need to do that if all the wiring is fine and just screen needs replacing
Surely this could be done by removing the frame, disconnecting all the connectors, pulling the old screen and fitting new one.
This is my opinion based on the picture of your screen which has no fixed wiring to the back of it which would go somewhere inside the chassis?!?!
Check this picture of your screen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PAVILION-...-/171353169295

Going by this spec this would be your replacement
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-...item417e0d0737

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 12th October 2014, 08:29 PM

This one looks like yours as well and I bought lots of electronic spares from them in the past and found their service to be good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-...item51a5dee93f

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 12th October 2014, 08:33 PM

Some laptops to need you to take far too much stuff off in order to get to bits, but it's usually pretty easy to do.. Have replaced a few of them over the years. Would have posted an ebay link, but Marcin beat me to it

If' you're not keen on doing it yourself, give one of the local phone repair shops a shout, they'll probably do it for you.

I know.. I know..

Old 12th October 2014, 09:01 PM

I agree with Richard, some laptops I've done over the years require ridiculous amount of dismantling, but as mentioned above, your screen has no fixed wiring on the back so this should be way much simpler fix than what manual says

This guys seems to proving my opinion because of what I said above.
Guy is a bit slow, but the screen looks exactly as the one from the pictures in my first post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FDyI-CL7eA

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 12th October 2014, 09:02 PM

Concur with all the above. They've even found spares in the right price range.

As noted in one of the listings, take the current screen out first to check the part numbers. And to confirm you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
The screen HP part number is 640445-001
Shedloads of those on eBay for around £40.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th October 2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12th October 2014, 09:08 PM

Also, as your screen was used in the models listed below, chances of the ones from the links being wrong type are very small as same LED screen was used across a wide range if not the whole range of DV6 models equipped with LED LCDs. Your one is LED

DV6-6052SA DV6-6052EA DV6-6051EA DV6-6053EA DV6-6080SF DV6-6060SA DV6-6077SA DV6-6101AX DV6-6102SA DV6-6107SA DV6-6119WM DV6-6153EA DV6-6154EA DV6-6156EA DV6-6157EA DV6-6176SA DV6-7063SA DV6-6B04SA DV6-6B08SA DV6-6B07EA DV6-6B55EA DV6-6B26SA DV6-6B50SA DV6-6B59EA DV6-6B60EA DV6-6B60SA DV6-6C01EA DV6-6C04EA DV6-6C05 DV6-6C05EA

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10

Last edited by M-A8; 12th October 2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 13th October 2014, 05:41 AM

I agree with all of the above.

While you are at it might consider changing to matte screen as well( I assume you have glossy screen like most). It's down to personal preference but I really don't like all the reflections on the glossy screens.

Here is one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B156XW02-V...item4860152267

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure