A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 17th July 2017, 03:50 PM

Default Aftermarket double-din unit - fitting advice please!

Afternoon all,

I've been going through old threads in the ICE / Audio segment for a long while now trying to figure out how best to go about things. Hopefully someone can provide pointers or at least confirm that my thinking is sound!

I have a stock set-up at the moment, including Bose sound / 6 disc changer / boot 6 disc changer. Being a facelift model, I appear to have a 'separate' area for audio and heating / AC controls, so I expected it'd be a simple case of taking the standard unit out, finding a fascia, and plumbing in a double-din unit.

Some threads from 2013 and older seem to show successful mountings of double-din units, but appear to gloss over the fact that there isn't an off-the-shelf fascia or fitting kit for a D2 - which seems to be the only conclusion I can make!?

I've attached an example of the kind of thing I'm aiming for (lifted from a different forum) - it's a Pioneer unit and I think it looks wonderfully OEM+, well fitted and modern. Trouble is, I can't figure out how this has been achieved given the seeming non-existence of parts required!

Any ideas folks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pioneer sph da120.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	16545  

2002 Audi A8 2.8 Quattro Sport - the gentleman's cruiser

Last edited by Resolutionary; 17th July 2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 17th July 2017, 09:19 PM

Try the Alpine site. I spoke to them at ADI last year and they were sure they could provide a suitable surround - with suitably expensive Alpine kit tho'.
Old 18th July 2017, 06:50 AM

Hi Resolutionary,

That's my head unit you've got a picture of from the Edition 38 forum. I sent you you a PM but also recognised your user name from here too

Here is a link to the fascia I purchased

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/inst...plate-for-audi

You have to trim down the upper parts of the fascia to allow it to fit properly - most car audio shops should be able to do this.

You will need a Bose harness to get the stereo to work with the built in Bose amp - again, most car audio shops will be able to advise you on this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rich

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 18th July 2017, 10:12 AM

David'S8 - thanks but I somewhat prematurely purchased the Pioneer unit you see in the attachment in my first post! It just looks so good, and will suit my needs perfectly.

Ricky D - thanks for picking this one up

Not only am I jealous of your S8, but the head unit you're running encouraged me to do the same - it's factory fresh!

I thought that was the case - since I don't readily have the tools to cleanly trim the fascia, nor did I purchase any of the required patches to make it work, I will be booking in the work with a reputable company near me.

I'l update this when things are up and running!

2002 Audi A8 2.8 Quattro Sport - the gentleman's cruiser