A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 15th August 2017, 09:48 AM

Default Mot test

I took my d3 for mot yesterday, waited and watched whilst done. B4 starting i asked about jacking mode and the roller brake test.

During the test he put it in jacking mode but seemed scared to jack it more then 1/2 inch. He also didnt do any brake tests. So all he did was a quick visual and a smoke test !

Is that usual for an a8 ?
Old 15th August 2017, 09:53 AM

The place I took my D3 did a road brake test, which they do with all 4 wheel drive cars.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 15th August 2017, 04:46 PM

Its actually unusual for an MoT! The MoT test requirements are, "The braking system will be subject to two detailed inspections. One will be an inspection of the physical brake components. The other will be a test to determine the brake efficiency. The MOT inspector check the brake pedal for travel and excessive free play in it's mounting. he/she will then inspect the individual braking components for wear. and leakage. This will include but is not limited to brake servo unit, brake master cylinder, brake pipes and mechanical braking components.

The second test will usually be carried out on a rolling road brake testing machine. This machine will test the performance of the cars braking system. The test will determines if the braking system is safe for the road. It will take a reading from each wheel. This will help determine brake efficiency and brake balancing. .........Vehicles such as those with permanent 4-wheel drive will be tested either on a suitable road using a properly calibrated and maintained brake testing gauge or, if one is installed at the test station, a plate brake tester."
Old 15th August 2017, 05:23 PM

Maybe he did the brake test when stopping at the end of the ramp 😀 I'm not too worried as I'm confident in the way the car has been maintained.
Old 15th August 2017, 05:42 PM

My MOT tester had to drive my S8 40 miles to the test station then 40 miles back, in Home Counties rush-hour traffic, including M25 and A1. So I guess the brakes were OK.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th August 2017, 06:09 PM

Blimey where do you live that you need to do an 80 mile round trip to get an mot ? Or was he just enjoying the drive so much ?
Old 15th August 2017, 06:20 PM

It's a semi-retired mate of mine who does locum work as an MOT tester.
The date that my MOT comes up generally coincides with him doing a week of holiday cover 40 miles away.

So he borrows my car for the day, drives it to and from work, and does its MOT (at their standard rates I might add) as part of his days schedule.

Peace of mind as you know there won't be any "silly" outcomes; well worth it for the petrol cost. And keeping a mate happy; he enjoys the drive.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th August 2017, 07:17 PM

My MOT guys just know by the feel if it's OK.
When I insist they put an inertia tester in the pax footwell and do a brake test in the yard.
Oh, and they put it in jacking mode before lifting her.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 16th August 2017, 01:06 AM

I'm kind of surprised at the variance in the tests there.

When a vehicle is tested here, there are very strict criteria to be performed with calibrated and tamperproof VicRoads issued equipment.
Firstly, the car must be photographed on the hoist (ramp) with its wheels off. Brakes must be photographed up close, VIN must be photographed, the Odometer must be photographed at both tests (if a second is required) to ensure a mileage difference, various other components and any 'fails'.
Secondly a g-meter type brake tester is used, and there is a minimum amount of 'G's' a car must perform to be considered safe.
The one comment made when the S8 was tested was "she's got good brakes"

Our system in Victoria is a little different as we don't have yearly MOT's (or RWC's here - RoadWorthy Certificate). NSW has a similar system to you, but is the only State that does.
Instead, we have to perform a very comprehensive RWC when vehicles change hands or have a lapsed registration (by more than 28 days) and are being re-registered.
At all other times the car must be maintained in a roadworthy condition on an owner onus basis which can be randomly checked by police.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 16th August 2017, 03:28 PM

Mine was done on a rolling road at the dealer, they had to move it to do each axle, not sure is it was two rollers (front and rear) will see if I can find the dash cam footage.