A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 15th February 2012, 07:35 AM

Default LHD manual trans conversion

Hello all, in conjunction with a remote mount turbo setup on my 2003 S8 FE, I've finally decided I'll also be going to an 01E manual box as well. I'm located in the USA, so am well-acquainted with the swap that TozoM8 did on Quattroworld. I'm trying to compile a parts list before moving forward on the project. Thus far here's what I know I'll need:

Gearbox
modified prop-shaft
half-shafts
clutch
flywheel
pedal cluster
master/slave cylinder
shifter assembly

Is there anything on this list I've missed? Also, does anyone know how to recode the ECU and cluster for the swap, and also how to keep cruise control. Thanks in advance.

As an aside, I thank all of you for dealing with my questioning, hopefully with some of the help I'm getting from the lot of you, and with my mechanical background, I can build a car that not just I enjoy, but all you who love these S8s can as well.
Old 15th February 2012, 09:19 PM

You'll also need European S8 manual 01E tranny mounts. Tozo used S4 items, which meant he had to weld on extra sheet metal to the subframe, to meet the S4 brackets. All depends on how neat you'd like it to be. Personally, I would use the correct S8 01E brackets.

I've got all my parts, we're moving house end of February, so not starting my conversion till then.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 15th February 2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
You'll also need European S8 manual 01E tranny mounts. Tozo used S4 items, which meant he had to weld on extra sheet metal to the subframe, to meet the S4 brackets. All depends on how neat you'd like it to be. Personally, I would use the correct S8 01E brackets.

I've got all my parts, we're moving house end of February, so not starting my conversion till then.
Yeah, there's a US supplier for them as well too (don't know why). I've also run into an interesting prospect: as opposed to lengthening hald-shafts and the prop-shaft, another gentleman here in the States had spacers machined-they were very high quality-and he sent me the cad drawings of them. I may machine them and use the stock a6 4.2 half-shafts and prop shaft from the s8.

The pedal cluster is the part that will present me most dilemma. The other gentleman made his pedal set, as did Tozo, but if the LHD European version is available, I'd prefer using that.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:25 AM

Here you go, snap this one up.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-A8-S8-D2...item2a199db66b

Then all you need is a clutch pedal and over-center spring.

Although it is a slightly different part number on VagCat. Hopefully not too different, definitely there is space and the mounting shaft for the clutch pedal.

doh! sorry just realised you already have a LHD pedal box
Just have a quick look at your pedal box to see if it has the master cylinder mounting recess and the over-centre spring brackets.

Here is a picture of how it should look. The ebay picture seems to have at least one of the over-centre spring brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pedal box.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	2917   Click image for larger version

Name:	LHD pedal box.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	2918  

Last edited by Goran; 5th March 2012 at 11:04 AM.