A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 1st November 2013, 03:59 AM

Default Showing Limp Mode, Not behaving as Such, Please Help

Hey guys, got an odd issue. Earlier I was having a bit of an electrical problem with my push start module, took the battery off the car to reset. When I put the battery back on the transmission was showing limp mode on the DIS (all illuminated red). I pulled the battery again and left it off for roughly an hour as a precaution hoping the issue may reset since I don't have VAGcom with me (at university right now). Still showed limp mode. I drove the car home, took it easy at first, then decided to play around to see if I could find an issue. I have full use of tiptronic, all gears available, the transmission is downshifting well, too. seems to shift hard in sport and easily in drive, like normal. Reverse works, neutral and park work. I also have reverse lights, but neglected to check cruise control. Given that all appears well, what could be causing the indication of limp mode? I'm a bit confused and don't know what the issue could be.
Old 1st November 2013, 08:11 AM

Hmm this isn't the infamous F125 switch issue perhaps is it? The push start could just be a complete coincidence.
Well documented on here if you do a earth and replacement is documented on Audipages HERE. Worth a check

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 1st November 2013, 08:54 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

My gear change was iffy when the F125 went, but maybe if it's 'borderline' the display might light up and the gears change OK. Definitely needs a VagCom - fancy leaving it at home!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 1st November 2013, 03:34 PM

I didn't believe it was the F125 because of the lack of issues regarding backup lights, gear changing, etc. I'm travelling home this weekend so I'll scan it then.
Old 1st November 2013, 04:41 PM

Have a quick check of the earth point in front of the front (in your case passenger) wheel and see if there's corrosion, that causes all manner of funnies.

I know.. I know..

Old 1st November 2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Have a quick check of the earth point in front of the front (in your case passenger) wheel and see if there's corrosion, that causes all manner of funnies.
Good call, I'll do that when I'm done classes today. It was raining fairly heavily last night, as well.

The push-to-start issue was a loss of tachometer signal, so certainly shouldn't be gearbox related.
Old 2nd November 2013, 05:46 AM

Well, I put the car on the jack and looked at the earth point. Looked fine. I drove off from where I did that and within a half mile was out of the limp mode..... I'm still going to scan for codes to see what was stored.
Old 4th November 2013, 08:51 PM

An update: no codes were stored, but when I had the car on the lift a great deal of fluid was present on the passenger side (right) output for the front differential. Didn't look like trans fluid though, too light in color. Is the Audi transmission fluid a lighter color? Looked almost like unused engine oil, but I am full on that front.