A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 5th September 2014, 10:40 AM

Default leaky gearbox

Folks

Need to sort a couple of leaks coming from the gearbox on the S8 - I've found the right illustrations for most of it but slightly surprised to not see more information in Etka about the flange replacement. There's no mention of the earlier part that has been superseded and no way of knowing whether there's a changeover date for the version A flange being installed at the factory?

Does anyone have additional info so I don't either order a part I don't need or find I need one and can't get it for 2 days!

Going to get the gearbox oil and filter changed again while we're in there - been about 3.5 years since it was all refreshed so I reckon worth doing again to remove any remaining old oil

Cheers

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 1st October 2014, 07:01 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Bump!

My output seal is leaking again too. It was replaced a couple of years ago but I couldn't get hold of a new style flange at the time.

Does anyone have part numbers and/or know where I can get these?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 1st October 2014, 07:16 AM

Hiya

I have all the details at home - new flange included. Was available next day via TPS when I ordered mine recently. If you look with the dealer/TPS only the new style flange is listed - there are then 2 part numbers for seals depending on whether you're using new or old flange

I realised when I was looking at it that its only centre diff oil capacity (about a litre) rather than gearbox oil so I've been avoiding using the car. Mine was supposed to be done last Friday but mate couldn't fit it in - 2 more Fridays before ADI to get it sorted!

Will post part number details when I get home if that's ok?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 1st October 2014, 07:58 AM

Brilliant! Thanks loads

Do you recall aproximate costs?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 1st October 2014, 08:34 AM

I would go to Mackies or Chester Transmisdions and will request to reseal the damn thing. They will supply the replacement flange and a new seal that works with the new flange. They will also give a basic warranty in case it'll leak again. There will be no warranty if you supply your own parts. Will also work cheaper than buying from Audi/TPS since they source directly from ZF.
Old 1st October 2014, 09:56 AM

Hi guys - iv had a look at this on the Audi ETKA in the office -currently not getting anywhere with the oe part number - I could be doing with a hand identifying it tbh - iv come up with 018 409 399b so far, but it appears theres a metal cover - if someone can confirm what diagram to look at I can work from there.

I think im on 499-90 or something along those lines
Old 1st October 2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I would go to Mackies or Chester Transmisdions and will request to reseal the damn thing. They will supply the replacement flange and a new seal that works with the new flange. They will also give a basic warranty in case it'll leak again. There will be no warranty if you supply your own parts. Will also work cheaper than buying from Audi/TPS since they source directly from ZF.
I think Mackies might be the best bet as I was thinking of taking it in for another gearbox flush soon anyway, but I'd like to havean idea of pricing before I go
Old 1st October 2014, 11:23 AM

Just in case it's been missed, I have a brand new flange for sale in the classifieds. The updated design to incorporate the new seal. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 1st October 2014, 03:49 PM

That's cheap - mine was more than that from TPS, that's for sure!

Old 1st October 2014, 05:39 PM

Right, definitive part numbers for an FBG gearbox code - probably the same for most others fitted to the S8 but would need to check.

The replacement tailshaft is 01V409809A @ £191.06 RRP
The corresponding seal is 01V409399A @ £23.91 RRP (the seal to use with the 'old' tailshaft is still available 018409399B but obviously isn't going to fix the design fault)
I also bought a new bolt for the tailshaft 01F409359 @ £2.74
Diff oil is G052145S2 @ £20.32 for a litre

Parts for the gearbox oil change:

Sump gasket 01L321371 @ £23.89
ATF oil G052162A2 @ £11.16 per litre (I bought 8)
Seal for the gearbox filter 01L325443 @ £2.36
Gearbox filter (strainer in Audi language) 01L325429B @ £34.54
Seal for the filler plug 01V321379 @ £2.08
Gearbox oil drain plug and seal 018321377B @ £6.21

Think that's it - I got an average 10% discount at TPS and it came to £430 all in.