A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 27th February 2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmiester View Post
There is a very helpful detailed explanation of the sports diff fault on here. Including pictures. It's one of two sensors. Very hard to reach need a special socket. Don't change both sensors at once, anyway check the threads. For update purposes mine is on for now, sometimes...
Thank you Funkmeister I have seen the post. I had a sensor replaced at the weekend and all seems well so far. Pads and discs also changed along with bulb to rectify the error I had with my adaptive light.

Last edited by manca; 2nd March 2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 7th October 2019, 03:36 PM

Default Replacement sensors

Had mine done, both sensors, separately, but it still lost coding. My garage did the sensors but the coding was done by a local electronics guy who has all the factory gear. He quoted "If the A8 was more popular I'd do one a day". Anyway no sign of the warning light since done. Did it make a difference to the handling? I don't drive it like a teenager (often) so hard to tell. Glad it's done though.
Old 23rd October 2019, 04:25 PM

Talking disc pads, disc brakes and ECE Regulation 90

European legislation came into effect September 1999 titled ECE R90. It stipulates that all brake pads sold for use on vehicles manufactured after this date must be tested and comply to R90 standards. - basically this reg requires that the performance of front and rear disc pads used on the public roads within Europe must be as good as Original Parts - closing the door to cheap and nasty imported brake pads throughout Europe. This Regulation was updated in 2016 requiring brake discs to meet similar requirements - So provided pads and discs are stamped to say they meet the requirements, you now have the choice whether you buy to suit your wallet or that of the manufacturer!

Last edited by joecash; 23rd October 2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 6th November 2019, 05:19 PM

Default Front Discs and pads change

So it was front disc and pad time. I had a very weird intermittent vibration from the front. I had convinced myself it wasn't the brakes because how could a set of discs warp cause a vibration sometimes and not others. Anyway changed them with PAGID discs and pads at a very reasonable £120(ish) all in from Eurocarparts who are not particularly known for their bargains so a welcome surprise. Turns out, yes it was the brakes causing the vibration as the new ones are super smooth braking under all circumstances. I took some photos of the old and new discs. The old ones were worn there was a couple of mm lip overall between both sides, Visually I wouldn't have called them ready for change but for the odd vibration. My pads looked almost new but were changed anyway. Note how different in design and vane thickness the old and new are. If anyone can identify the old ones it has a very distinct fluting around the inside and the vanes between both sides of the disc are very much thinner than the PAGID. Side by side I would have called the PAGID a much cruder design and rougher casing. If you recognises the old ones I couldn't see anything on them apart from an unreadable QR code. I would also say these failed prematurely and in a very odd intermittent way. I would not by choice, ever choose the old make again (whatever it is) and so far (only 1K) very happy with the PAGID. Also I didn't pick up on the old thread here about the ATE brakes. I have to say they don't make it easy I struggled until I found a mobile mechanic in Alabama on Youtube who was doing the brakes on his pastors A8 and showed how he cut down a 10mm to make a 9mm. On a Sunday afternoon I did the same thing, ground down a 10mm to a 9mm to take the pin/shafts out. Not really a fan Vs the Brembo system in terms of easy of brake change, snapping the pads in place and all. It's not a massive chore once you know how, it's just the Brembos on my D2 are SOOO much easier and pads can be done using a leatherman without any special tools. If anyone recognises the old discs I'd be interested to know what make they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-27 12.47.18.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	740.2 KB
ID:	22363   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-27 12.47.21.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	22364   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-27 12.48.18.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	22365   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-27 12.48.05.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	22366   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-27 12.47.53.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	22367  
Old 12th May 2020, 09:07 PM

About 6 months ago, i replaced all my brake discs and pad to Brembo OE for around £350 all together including wear indicator sensors.

I believe Genuine Audi discs for the front brakes and pads are made by ATE and the rear Discs and pads are made by TRW.

Currently:
2015 Audi A8 4H Sport Executive Quattro in Monsoon Grey
Old 13th August 2020, 03:01 PM

Hi All

I have 4.0 2016 S8 that needs new discs and pads in the next couple of months. I see Audi charge £1395 for front and £649 for rears. I checked with 4 Rings Dartford, they quoted £1116 for fronts and £618 for rears. The only labour they charge is 1.5 hours on each.
Looks to me that Audi have a hold on the prices, Brembo front replacements for my GTR cost about £450 each....?
Is there a way to get these cheaper? I am only considering the T1 - Brembo or similar....

Thanks a lot!