A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 1st August 2011, 09:38 PM

Question Windscreen Wiper Problems - Battery Issue?

Hi all,

This is my first post so I hope you may be able to help me! I have a 2003 D3 A8, 4.2 Quattro SWB that has recently developed a few problems.

Last week the wipers stopped working completely. If I selected the mid position on the MMI they would reset and start again no problem. When I try to do this now, they will not go to the mid position any more.

About a month ago, the remote entry stopped working.
About 2 months ago I noticed that the rear interior light does not come on when the door is opened.
Last Christmas I was locked out of the car a few times and had to use the key to gain entry (central locking not working).
Power Steering is sometimes heavy (random)

Prior to this, the car has been faultless and has been kept to a high standard.

After looking at some of the posts on this forum, I am wondering if it is all related to a battery issue? If so, how should I proceed to check it?

I removed the earth lead from the battery on Saturday and charged the battery for 24 hours. It is holding the charge well and the car started no problem and sounded very good (it sometimes sounds like it's missing slightly at startup). All the above problems are still present though, so I am wondering if it is the battery ECU?

I don't want to take it to main dealer as the prices are ridiculous. I am an aircraft engineer so I would like to solve the problem!

Any help is much appreciated!
Many Thanks!

Last edited by davrianman; 1st August 2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added age of car!
Old 1st August 2011, 10:00 PM

welcome to the forum!
Have you run a vagcom scan?
where are you based?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 1st August 2011, 10:29 PM

A VagCom Scan would be favourite

Could be that the wiper motor is going funny.

Have you checked for water ingress into the car? I had some weirdness when I had a water leak getting into the carpets.

I know.. I know..

Old 2nd August 2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
welcome to the forum!
Have you run a vagcom scan?
where are you based?
I'm based near Newport / Bristol area. I was thinking of buying a vagcom system, but I plan to sell the car soon, so didn't want to go all out on it! Car is very dry and the battery compartment looks brand new!
I have a local Audi/VW independent garage who may be able to help. Would a vagcom be able to diagnose?
Thanks for fast replies! Much appreciated. It's not much fun driving a car without wipers!
Old 2nd August 2011, 07:55 AM

I wouldn't count on all the faults being connected. My experience is with my '96 model but <satnds by for back lash> the electrics aren't that robust in these cars. I have 2 duff door contact switches and my wiper interval is fixed which I am sure is down to the wiper switch. Assuming you have checked the obvious, fuses, power checks at the wiper motor etc, I would be tempted to get the steering column surround off and do some cold checks on the operation of the wiperswitch and continuity checks to the wiper relay.
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:54 AM

Thanks, I haven't started chasing wiring yet as I think that the wipers are actually mechanically and electrically ok. Someone told me there is an ECU for the wipers attached to the motor. It could be this I suppose. If it was wiring, why would it be ok after selecting then deselecting the maintenance position from the MMI?

I have decided to run it down to my local garage to see if they can diagnose the problem then I will try to fix myself.

I love this car, but when things go wrong it's incredibly difficult to find the root cause of the problem. Ever person I ask has a different answer! :-)

Many thanks for the sugestions!
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:57 PM

I've had a similar sounding problem with my wipers, which went very slowly before stopping completely in the middle of the screen.

Further use resulted in a 10 degree sweep of the windscreen, with the wipers still stuck in the middle.

I pulled the wiper assembly out and the drivers side spindle is seized almost solid and would only move after the careful application of a lump hammer!
I couldn't actually get the spindle out so have thrown the whole lot back in again and will get a new linkage assembly, around £198 from Audi...

By the way, anyone know how to remove the electrical connector from the wiper motor - mine wouldn't budge..!!
Old 4th August 2011, 09:04 PM

Bolts often work there way loose

Last edited by FireStorm; 1st September 2011 at 02:18 PM.

Tags
battery, electrics, fault, problem, wipers