A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 26th January 2014, 02:00 PM

Default Rear suspension - anyone replaced any rubber parts?

Guten Morgen Gang.
I'm coming up to 220,000 miles on my 06 A8 and have just put on my second replacement set of four front-axle upper control arms.
It still has a slight rattle so will be doing the four lower arms next, these are the factory originals so have got my money's worth!

After that I want to get a proper alingment and replace all four tyres, but prior to that wanted to also replace any rear parts that are worn.
The car sometimes appears to have a slight shimmy or waddle at the back.
Has anyone replaced and rear parts? I have never read about this in forums, and checking the rear with a pry bar doesn't give any hint of a problem with the wishbone bushes or control arms or anti-roll bar links, the bushes are vey small and not even sure if they have rubber in them..
Old 26th January 2014, 10:22 PM

I have 193,000 miles on an 04. It has only ever had front Suspension Arms and the "C" shaped drop links on the front anti roll bar. The rear is as it left the factory and doesn't appear to have any wear.
Wheel Bearings seem to be the opposite, both sides on the rear replaced. Front bearings seem to last forever.
Old 27th January 2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
I have 193,000 miles on an 04. It has only ever had front Suspension Arms and the "C" shaped drop links on the front anti roll bar. The rear is as it left the factory and doesn't appear to have any wear.
Wheel Bearings seem to be the opposite, both sides on the rear replaced. Front bearings seem to last forever.
Thanks for the reply. I have read quite a few with bearing replacements, but as far as I know, mine are original.

These are the rear ones on various sites.
Might just get them anyway once the fronts are finished.
http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/susp...61JTC1142.html
Old 28th January 2014, 10:26 AM

My 53-plate had a rear bearing go at around 65k.. Seemed to be a bit more of a serious fail than usual as there were no warning grumbles, just let the hub move a bit and trashed the ABS sensor and resulted in a whole raft of beeps and flashy lights

I know.. I know..

Old 28th January 2014, 12:21 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3308709245...84.m1423.l2649

Just an idea but these guys do a front overhaul kit, possibly might do a full rear?
Old 29th January 2014, 07:14 PM

Thanks.
I just looked on ELSAWIN at replacing the rear trapezoidal links and because the bolts have no access to them, it looks very hard, rear subframe out, drive shafts out etc...
I think I'll stick to the easier bits for now.
Old 1st February 2014, 12:03 PM

Hi
I don't want to sound like a old prick, but I will never put again any non audi suspension parts of the car.
So far I haven't touched the rear, just had a longlife service done week ago and its all good, 144k on the clock.

But year ago I put top quality upper arms in front from GSF on special order and guess what, front suspension just under the windscreen makes such a creaking very rubbery noise inside and outside that it sounds like a old crane , not joking. But only after an hour - 1:20h of driving, especially lots of traffic when wheel arches and arms are warm???, lots of heat from under the car when hot and standstill???
From that moment music volume goes 50% up at least.

And I think I saved only 100 or 120 pounds and it lasted a year, s**t

Even guys I go to with my car always saying that it's just not worth saving on parts like that especially on such a big, semi powerful cars.
You will end up paying twice.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten

Last edited by M-A8; 1st February 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 1st February 2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Hi
I don't want to sound like a old prick, but I will never put again any non audi suspension parts of the car.
Yes, my garage put on GSF upper arms for £550 and after 18 months (~20,000 mile) they were totally shot and bushes completely detatched on one. I now realise they started being noisy after just a year but thought it must be something else as these were the newest parts on the car.

Genuine Audi ones were rediculous price, so I went with MOOG (Federal Moghal) uppers as they are highly regarded in USA but I also just ordered TRW lowers as they are BMW OE and Lemförder (Audi OE) parts were out of stock everywhere. I have read that TRW are OE on some Audis too.
These branded arms are really expensive at Eurocarparts, even with 25% off so I advise anyone to shop around.
Old 1st February 2014, 03:49 PM

My mate scared me a little recently when he told me about sound under windscreen which was similar to worn arms but related to steering rack because on d3 is under the windscreen like in A6's????
Anyone could share some light on it.

In regards to arms, I've got already price for upper fronts genuine audi both sides 450 +VAT

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten