A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 30th December 2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
You should invoice him for your time and offer to waive the invoice for an equivalent discount on an S9
That would be handy but rather hard as I did not reveal my charges in advance. any way I think we have come to an arrangement that is fair. He will keep at least one S9 and I will be hosting it, he is not sure about the second one, for now idea is he will put it on e-bay @£5200. If somebody buys it so be it if not than that one will enjoy my hospitality as well.

Our arrangement is for 6 months at the moment but could be changed with either party informing at least 30 days ahead and the deal is that I will host and look after his S9, all the BTC is going to his wallet, he is paying me £110 for electricity in cash, keeping himself enough to repay investment in 6 months, and then we split the rest 50/50 in BTC. At the current prices that means about £170 for me for renting a small space in garage or double that if he keeps both S9's. I could earn more with my own but this way I do not have to invest and risk any of my own money.

He did bring 1 S9 round today as I though I could just about get away with it on current wiring but it's more power hungry than I anticipated - 1490W so it was a no go for now. So I will have to do upgrades tomorrow to accommodate it, possibly it's brother and then my S9 should be arriving in 1-2 weeks time as well.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 30th December 2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 30th December 2017, 06:08 PM

X11 prices have been rising and D3 is becoming more profitable, month ago it was doing £5-6 per day with £3 running costs, now I am getting £15 for renting it out, I did consider buying more of D3's when they were £800 on e-bay but now the prices have gone up as well.

I have also been keeping a keen eye on Baikal Giant X10 returns after I missed out buying one. They still are earning quite well but majority started shipping 20th December so next month will show how much profitability drops off.

They also have a new miner as well https://www.baikalminer.com/product10.php, this one has not been up for sale yet so if I can get one of the first batch I will probably go for it depending on price. At the moment it would earn a lot but this will obviously drop a lot once they start shipping but should still make decent return if I get one of the first ones.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	17671  

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 30th December 2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 30th December 2017, 06:27 PM

I've been watching out for the Giant B as well (daily!), also having missed an X10. I read something on their FB page that the B would be $3600 with a minimum order of 6 which puts it well out of my reach. I was expecting it to be more like the X10. I did email them and ask, but just got a cut n paste 'out of stock' reply which was not encouraging.
Old 30th December 2017, 06:47 PM

I am kind of happy that B is not shipping yet as it gives me time to monitor Giant X10 returns as there is no other way to tell how much they will ship and how much network will increase, difficulty go up and earnings decrease. I don't expect them to ship on hundreds of thousands units like from Bitmain at least for now as they are a smaller player, but still do not want to pay for something that turns out to be low profitability at the time it ships. $3600 is a bit steep but 6 unit MOQ should not be a problem if we do group buy, there is about 5 of us active on this thread and I have 3-4 friends who could be interested so it should be possible to put together 6 unit order but it all depends on price and also data on how X10 performs. Anyway I have subscribed to e-mail alerts on their site and also registered on Twitter and following Bitmain and Baikalminer so should get notification when they are available.

I have seen FB price as well but it's a bit hard to follow it as I am not on FB myself but it did seem like it was a speculation from somebody, not a indication from Baikalminer themself

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 30th December 2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 30th December 2017, 07:53 PM

Yeah it did look like speculation. If the price is sensible and we find out before my next Vegas materialise from Amazon.fr then I'd be up for a Giant B.

Who else is running Cryptonight by the way? I get a lot of 'SOCKET ERROR - RECEIVE error: socket closed' errors in both Cast-XMR and XMR-Stak (several versions of this one too including current), at which point it stops mining and waits to reconnect. It could be a minute or two before it restarts. This happens regardless of which pool its on, although Nicehash is much worse than MiningPoolHub, and it hardly did it at all on Electroneum so I wonder if its related to difficulty? Its all over the place on Github and Reddit but there are no solutions - just comments that if you're not finding shares fast enough the pool will disconnect, but it happens way more often than the alleged 10 minute timeout. 3.7KH/s really ought to be fast enough not to time out!

While I've been mining for myself I've just put up with it, but its a problem on MiningRigRentals because it seriously messes with my average hash rate thusly:

Each of these valleys is one of these events.

Ainars - I had a look at your rigs on MRR and they appear to exhibit the same behaviour. Have you noticed this error?

Has anyone else seen / solved it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mrr.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	17672  
Old 30th December 2017, 09:59 PM

I'd be up for a group buy, are you all on Telegram, its probably the most reliable way of getting in touch quickly with me both on and offshore?

You can find me @Del_boy on Telegram

Old 31st December 2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yeah it did look like speculation. If the price is sensible and we find out before my next Vegas materialise from Amazon.fr then I'd be up for a Giant B.

Who else is running Cryptonight by the way? I get a lot of 'SOCKET ERROR - RECEIVE error: socket closed' errors in both Cast-XMR and XMR-Stak (several versions of this one too including current), at which point it stops mining and waits to reconnect. It could be a minute or two before it restarts. This happens regardless of which pool its on, although Nicehash is much worse than MiningPoolHub, and it hardly did it at all on Electroneum so I wonder if its related to difficulty? Its all over the place on Github and Reddit but there are no solutions - just comments that if you're not finding shares fast enough the pool will disconnect, but it happens way more often than the alleged 10 minute timeout. 3.7KH/s really ought to be fast enough not to time out!

While I've been mining for myself I've just put up with it, but its a problem on MiningRigRentals because it seriously messes with my average hash rate thusly:

Each of these valleys is one of these events.

Ainars - I had a look at your rigs on MRR and they appear to exhibit the same behaviour. Have you noticed this error?

Has anyone else seen / solved it?
Yes I have noticed disconnects, it's mostly depending on pool on which the renters mine. Sometimes I get a lot of them sometimes none, I did notice that MRR Amsterdam server sometimes gives a lot of disconnects, switched to de server and problem went away.

The dips in the graph does not always correspond with disconnects as I am getting a lot of dips without disconnects as well. It's just the way pool calculates hashrate on submitted valid shares and not the actual work your rig is doing. That's why the peaks show higher hashrrate than the rig could possibly do. It all averages out about where it should be, I guess there is no hashrate reported from rig to the pool as that would be open to abuse where somebody could modify miner to report incorrect higher rate to the pool than it's actually doing so the pool has to rely on calculating the rate from the shares you submit and that changes over time depending on luck so sometimes pool reports higher, sometimes lower or sometimes none at all.

I do sometimes get renters with a crappy pool that mines with low static difficulty or gets a lot of outdated shares which don't count towards hashrate or whatever and it reports poor hashrate. In those cases I either point my single RX580 card that runs on Microserver and is normally on NH to that rig to give it a bit of boost or extend rental a bit so that it averages at least 90% to give positive impact to rating. Or sometimes if it looks very poorly I just send a message to renter saying this is not working, sort it, mine on different pool or whatever or I will terminate the rental. If they don't I send another message to MRR support to end the rental, they refund money for unused time to the renter, I keep the money for used time and I don't get negative impact to my rating even if reported hashrate was low.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 31st December 2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 31st December 2017, 04:19 PM

Thanks I'm on Amsterdam now so I'll try Germany and see what it does. It behaves much the same directly connected to Nicehash and MiningPoolHub though so I don't think its an MRR thing. It seems, from much searching, that the specific error is unique to XMR mining, although that may just mean that Cast-XMR is a fork of XMR-Stak since they both have identical error message text.

I've switched to Stak again for a while as that has configurable error settings and better reporting than Cast, at a cost of 2-300H/s, so I'll hopefully get a bit more info about whats going on.

I had a really bad rental yesterday (only my 3rd too!). It was unable to connect most of the time so only got about 50% average hash rate. I asked MRR support about it and they terminated it exactly like you said. Having a backup card to boost the hash rate is a good idea. I could use my 960 for that since it can do about 8-10% of the Vegas.
Old 31st December 2017, 11:54 PM

Well for some reason my rig just won't work properly with MRR. After lots more tinkering and troubleshooting I ran it direct on a pool for several hours and it showed just two network errors, but connected to MRR it disconnects every couple of minutes. Once it's disconnected it can show no hash rate at all for a few minutes until it finds the next share so average hash rate is terrible. I've tried all the EU servers and they all behave just as badly.

With Cast-XMR I can run a separate instance for each GPU. The one connected direct works just fine and the one connected to the same pool via MRR still falls over every couple of minutes

I'm going back to mining direct or Nicehash since its not worth the stress of having to constantly babysit MRR. The Vega fans winding up to 5K rpm every few minutes as they restart is also highly annoying!

Oh well. It was worth a try

Worth mentioning, I've got it running at almost 4KH/s in Cast-XMR now - the average is 3980 with each card regularly hitting 2K. Total rig power is 480W including 10W for the CPU which is still mining ETN. I haven't done the sums to see if the extra 2-300 H/s are worth an extra 70W but its pleasing that after all the hassle I had at the beginning, it does actually do what it said on the tin

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 1st January 2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 1st January 2018, 10:28 AM

I turned it back down to 3.7K as its just too loud at 4K. The extra 300 hashes will make an extra £10 a month but need another 1000rpm on the fans to stay below 60° - not worth the racket.