A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 24th June 2017, 09:04 PM

Post dividend dip is common, usually in line with the amount of the dividend paid, so not a major secret, this applies to most companies.

On the flip, sometimes if you are trading not investing, it can sometimes pay to sell and take the capital gain pre-divi over the amount earned from the divi and buying lower after
Old 24th June 2017, 09:46 PM

I mainly invest for the long term, but occasionally I see a share that pops up and down, and up and down. I wait for a down and buy, then sell on the next up. It's worked so far.
I have read no books about investing and do minimal research. As I see it, if there was a formula, all those authors would be following that rather than scraping a living and boring your t1ts off writing about it.

I try to think about what makes people tick, what we use every day and I look for companies that seem to understand and deliver what their customers like. I read loads of stuff (not investment related) and try to pay attention to what's going on in the world. I also look for companies with what is described as a moat. Sage is a classic example of this. I think their products are pretty crap, but as an SME try getting your books run on anything else. They also own one of the biggest online payment systems.

An example of trends is online retail. Have a look at where Amazon is heading, and Alibaba. I can't envisage us loosing our desire for online shopping anytime soon.

The ISA route makes a lot of sense. I too use this for pension, but the rules have recently changed and I believe some of the negatives attached to pension investments have lifted, and they are again worth a punt. It spreads the risk somewhat.

I'd agree that getting mortgage free is a priority. That's security if the poo hits the fan. And once the mortgage is finished you can divert what was going to the bank into your own kitty.

Good luck with it, and enjoy the ride, it'll be a roller coaster.

Last edited by tonupkid; 24th June 2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 26th June 2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I've had investments in cryptocurrencies for a few years now and, more recently, I've done a little trading on the exchanges too. I've made far more by just buying and holding than buying and selling though. My portfolio has increased more than 10 times in value this year alone. In a few cases, altcoins that I purchased just a couple of hundred pounds of back in February are now worth over 10K. I own around 20 different cryptocurrencies now (including Bitcoin and Ethereum). Every single one of them has at least doubled in value since I bought them and the prices continue to climb.

On a related note: I've started getting heavily into mining cryptocurrencies this year too and I've been helping one of my business customers to build mining rigs. With a ROI of just 3 to 4 months, it can be extremely lucrative.
Can you elaborate about mining, I never looked into it in depth but my impression was that while its was profitable at the start these days it would barely pay electricity bill.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 26th June 2017, 09:34 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I never looked into it in depth but my impression was that while its was profitable at the start these days it would barely pay electricity bill.
Quite the contrary. That may have been true at one time, and still is true (in most cases) for CPU mining but ASIC and GPU mining are very profitable right now.

Cryptocurrencies and mining are a vast subject. I wouldn't want to hijack your thread by going off on a tangent, but I'm happy to share any info. It would probably be best to start a new thread to discuss it properly.

But briefly, as a comparison ...

I own an (ASIC) Antminer S9. Cost was about £1800, inc PSU:

Running cost is about £120 per month and it makes about £350 per month. So ROI is ok, but not great. However, it's relatively plug and play, low maintenance, compact and it's an easily scaleable solution, hence the popularity of ASICs in some mining farms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxeF6364M-8

However, mining with the right graphics cards is more profitable:

A rig containing 6 AMD RX 480 GPUs costs about the same as an Antminer S9. However, it will make more like £550-£600 per month and costs less to run (approx £80 per month). You may notice that most of the better AMD graphics cards are sold out -- that's no coincidence. Presently the Nvidia 1080Ti is about the best available. It's more expensive than the 480 cards, but it mines at about twice the rate.

GPU mining is also more flexible than ASIC mining in that it's possible to run different algorithms to mine different currencies. A lot of the larger mining farms now use GPUs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd25gifGXVQ

Bear in mind also, that the depreciation of high-end graphics is very low and you can eliminate electricity costs if you invest in solar and/or can make use of the by-product (heat).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjP5ekChJJ0
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 26th June 2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 26th June 2017, 03:05 PM

Very interesting, I will start another thread about cryptocurrencies.

Another thing I have noticed is that often price jumps up at the very start of trading day at 8am and then falls off in couple of minutes. The problem is on makets.com I cannot buy or sell until about 08:05 so miss this price hike. Maybe I should look at alternate platforms.

8 history:
Old 26th June 2017, 03:42 PM

Please do start a thread about cryptocurrencies I had no idea it was still lucrative, or even that there were any other than Bitcoin.
Old 26th June 2017, 10:10 PM

If anybody is interested Ethereum dropped like 25% at one point on Monday so I bought some of it, let's hope it will raise again. If it just keep dropping I will be buying more and more of it.

8 history:
Old 26th June 2017, 10:25 PM

I've moved this thread to "IT AV and other Tech" as it sits better here

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs