A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 9th February 2016, 10:55 AM

Unhappy This is a very difficult decision for me :( My A8L D3

Hey everyone

I've had my 3.0 TDI D3 A8L off the road for a while now and it's in need of some TLC. Just testing the water really as to whether I repair it or not.

So I think most will remember the S8 front end conversion I've done on it, which is all genuine Audi, makes a nice standout touch to the car, not to mention a bloody expensive upgrade.

The reason it's off the road is that the engine has started rattling. I think the chains and guides need replacing. Worst case scenario would be to pop another engine in there.

The car has over 200k on the clock but it's been 10000000% the best car I've ever owned, I'd happily fix it, but I'm constantly finding myself too busy to get it in the garage and have a look at it and it's just sat there doing nothing.

The idea of breaking this car for parts makes me want to cry, but it would definitely earn someone some money if they wanted it buy it for that reason. I can't say that's what I'd do if I had the time-I'd certainly fix the engine.

She's a 2007 on a 56reg (once the private reg has been removed), SE Executive spec with additional AMI. I've had TV in Motion done. Electric rear blinds not the manual ones.
Its also had new front disks and pads, new rear brake calliper so (one of them has probably only covered 500miles since it was fitted, everything I've ever installed has been from Audi as I got it with no history, I took a great leap of faith in Audi and never regretted it.
HPI clear, I think I'm the second owner (I've owned it for the past 6/7 years.

Please excuse my rubbish post, I've not sold a car or bike for eons and I know I've missed off info, please if anyone is interested in making me a SENSIBLE offer for the car, please do so. I'm not gifting this away, I'm not in need of cash, I'm purely just too busy and this beautiful car is going to waste.

Feel free to text me on 07958213458 if you're interested in Audrey

I'll try to get some pics up of her soon though you'll find some in my old posts on the forum.

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 9th February 2016, 06:49 PM

My advice would be to get the engine sorted if the car has no other issues.
I had chain rattle on my old 2004 3.0TDI from about 170k miles upwards. It never got any worse or caused any issues. When I upgraded to a D4, the D3 had 240k on it and was driving 100%.
As i understand it, the chain rattle is caused by failing tensioners which cause the chain to "eat" through the plastic guides. A proper repair is obviously an engine out job due to the location of the chain at the back of the engine near the bulkhead. I've seen reports of just the upper tensioners/guides being changed with the engine insitu. Probably a bit of a gamble unless you know its just the top tensioners that are in trouble.
Even if it is an engine out case, it might not be much more expensive than a set of injectors at £300 each.
Old 9th February 2016, 10:39 PM

Forgot to ask earlier, is this the original engine or the replacement one from the 2009 Q5 that you bought a few years back ?
Old 10th February 2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2.0E View Post
Forgot to ask earlier, is this the original engine or the replacement one from the 2009 Q5 that you bought a few years back ?
Hi Joe

Thanks for the advice. I'm aware of how easy it is to fix or replace, however I don't have the time (not only do I run two businesses, I'm also studying for further qualifications, not enough hours in the day )
I've got so much going on right now that if someone else puts the effort in, they've got themselves a real bargain. Therebisnt anything wrong with the injectors, not according to the Audi software (not vag-com)

Car isn't smoking either.

It is indeed running the 2009 Q5 engine. (CCW code)

Has been equally as reliable as the original ASB engine up until this noise.

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.