A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 1st March 2017, 05:15 PM

Default Flat Battery-Booster Pack

I don't often recommend products but as we all dread the A8 flat battery syndrome, which I experienced a few times on the S8 because of door handles keeping the car awake.

The most recent flat battery pushed the wife over the edge and I purchased a booster battery hoping it would get her out of a jam should she need it.

So I bought this fully expecting it to be a POS.

Today i was working to rectify the battery drains on the car and in doing so managed to flatten the battery So I broke out the booster expecting it to confirm my doubts about its ability to start a large engine.

To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement, if you want piece of mind then buy one and throw it in the boot you might just be glad you did.

See it in action here

Last edited by Delboy; 1st March 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 1st March 2017, 05:47 PM

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 1st March 2017, 09:47 PM

Wow. Pretty impressed that tiny thing can start a V10! I might have to invest in one of those
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:12 PM

I was already subscribed to your YT channel, and watched this yesterday I think. Those 10 cylinders when it fires up, sound immense! I wondered why I was subscribed, and now I know!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:06 PM

That's very impressive

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:09 PM

This is a cracking piece of kit.
I'll be getting one for sure.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:33 PM

I saw your post a couple of days ago Del and thought "that's very impressive, I must get one"

Two days later it pops up on my Instagram newsfeed as a "sponsored advert" but the exact same bit of kit and price..........coincidence, or clever marketing using information previously posted on social media?

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:20 PM

Did you click on the link to Amazon above? Assuming so it will be a targeted advert based upon a tracking cookie.....
Old 4th March 2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Did you click on the link to Amazon above? Assuming so it will be a targeted advert based upon a tracking cookie.....
I did indeed Paul, I find it clever that because of that click its appeared on my Instagram and Facebook timelines which I access on my phone only, while also having different names on both. I assume it links my name to all three forums as it accesses my information behind the user names?

Probably straightforward stuff to those of you who understand that type of trickery but pretty cool to an IT illiterate like me

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 5th March 2017, 04:34 AM

Good bit of kit compared to old lead acid battery boosters but remember that it is just that - a booster. I don;t think it will start car on it's own if battery is totally flat. Those cables look very thin and I don't think they can carry 800A without significant voltage drop and heat. I have a lot thicker jumper cables that will not carry enough current to start 4.2 if battery is flat but they are a lot longer as well so that's a factor. It does say peak current 800A but does not say for what amount of time, is t it 1 second or 0.0001s? DC output it only says 15A. As it is lithium battery the voltage will be 14.4-14.8V so even with flat car battery it will be pushing some juice in car battery so if it does not start straight away if you leave it connected for 10-15min it will get some charge in car battery and then you should be able to start combining power of both.

It would be interesting if anybody could try it with totally flat car battery or car battery removed all together.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure