A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 6th April 2015, 04:00 PM

Default 02596 code

Hi all, any help appreciated with clearing this code... I replaced the rear pads and discs, did it properly, battery charger, followed the procedure to the letter. I did the adaptation for the new pads @11mm, followed by function test. Code still won't clear. I repeated the adaptation and function test about 5 times but no dice. Everything is working properly, no lights on the cluster, just this bloody code won't clear. Am I missing something??
Old 6th April 2015, 04:12 PM

Have you cleared it from all relevant sections on vagcom? The code may be showing in more than one module perhaps?
Possibly clear all codes across the board then try leaving the handbrake off but locking the car and it will cycle a brake test automatically as you lock the car, see if that resets everything?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 6th April 2015, 05:09 PM

Hi thanks for reply, yeah its just showing in 53 park brake control but I've deleted maybe 20 times both directly in 53 and another 20 times through autoscan. It just pops back immediately.

I did read another post about that said to do the adaptation, function test, hold engine stop button, lock car, then try clear code again. Didn't work either. Should the park brake motors be heard to move after I finish the function test and lock the car with handbrake left off? Should it set itself or something? It definitely didn't do anything after I locked the car with it off...
Old 6th April 2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipptop View Post
Hi thanks for reply, yeah its just showing in 53 park brake control but I've deleted maybe 20 times both directly in 53 and another 20 times through autoscan. It just pops back immediately.

I did read another post about that said to do the adaptation, function test, hold engine stop button, lock car, then try clear code again. Didn't work either. Should the park brake motors be heard to move after I finish the function test and lock the car with handbrake left off? Should it set itself or something? It definitely didn't do anything after I locked the car with it off...
Yes you should hear the motors wind in and back out again on both sides whilst they perform the test

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
Old 6th April 2015, 06:35 PM

possibly the park brake isnt working or what happened with mine there was no signal from the sensor so its presumed not working
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 6th April 2015, 07:27 PM

When I did mine a couple of years ago, I remember something similar.
It required turning the ignition off and on between steps at some point in the process which was easily overlooked.
Old 6th April 2015, 07:50 PM

The motors work fine during the function test they go on/off a few times. What I meant to ask is after the function test is finished, controller closed, then lock the car with the handbrake still off... Should I hear the motors moving at that stage?? That was the impression I got from your post! Maybe I took you up wrong.

Just to clarify, everything is working correctly, no lights on the cluster, each caliper locks and lets go properly. The adaptation saves the new pad thicknesses and function test works just as it should. Its just the 02596 will not clear off. Maybe I should just let it be before I break something!
Old 6th April 2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
When I did mine a couple of years ago, I remember something similar.
It required turning the ignition off and on between steps at some point in the process which was easily overlooked.
I was following the ross tech video and the elsawin procedure. Ross tech say that if 02596 doesn't clear after the first adaptation and function test, just keep doing the adaptation and function test until it does clear. I've done it ten times now, so I'm just sick of it tbh.

This is what elsawin says:

The electronic parking brake must now be recalibrated.

Requirements

Electronic parking brake must be released.
Selector lever must be in position “P”.
Switch off ignition, take out ignition key and lock steering.
Recalibration will now be performed.
The electronic parking brake retracts and closes again audibly.
It then sets the required clearance automatically.
Wait for this process to be completed.
Recalibration is now completed.
Then erase fault memory.

The ross tech vcds procedure (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJMI4QkSy8) doesn't mention any of this, just says adapt and function test until the code can be cleared. Surely if I turn off the ignition with vcds connected it will lose communication with the epb controller.

Last edited by tipptop; 6th April 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 9th April 2015, 01:14 AM

So after much trying, I cannot get the calibration to perform on the epb. I leave in P, handbrake off, lock steering, lock car... Nothing happens, no movement or noise at all. I've already confirmed both calipers lock and release properly. The only other thing I've noticed is that one caliper is a lot cleaner than the other one, looks like possibly one was replaced, no mention of it in any of the service record or receipts though...

Totally stumped now, hopefully some kind soul can chime in on this as its bugging me. So the calibration ain't working, 02596 code won't clear, but the epb works ok.
Old 9th April 2015, 09:18 AM

are you getting any kind of fault code for the EPB module itself? just wondered if the module is foobar-ed ?