A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 9th July 2011, 10:06 AM

Default D2 S8 Service

After recently becoming a proud owner of an S8 I would like to do a Service on her as she is now on 180 000km

Advice Please...

1) Spark Plugs : Type and Spec recommended ??
2) Oil : Fully Synthetic I presume ???
3) Fuel Filter: How often should this be replaced ??
4) Filters: Pollen etc are part of this service.... Can one DIY these.

Thank Guys..
Old 9th July 2011, 10:44 AM

I don't think the fuel filter is in the Audi service schedule but get it done anyway, the pollen filters are certainly DIY, it will take you two minutes even with no mechanical ability to change them. Lift up the bonnet and look directly in front of you, you can't miss them. Consider doing the brake fluid and if you have time, maybe even the power steering flush too, there is a good 'how to' for that on Audipages. I used spark plugs directly from my Audi dealer, however others use ones from local motor factors. NGK are good.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 9th July 2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

all of what you listed is what i do diy every 5-7k miles barr the pollen filter and fuel filter i do those every 15k, its fairly easy to do of course it will affect service history but if you do the plugs and filter and oil your self im sure they will stamp it if you go in to have the pas fluid and brake fluid changed any way, will just save a bit of money for you ngk are good i used iridium plugs last and they were not cheap but i will see if they are worth it in the long run when i check them in about 4k miles at the next service
Old 9th July 2011, 05:43 PM

1)NGK BKR6EIX or Denso IK20 or VK20Y

2)Get one from dealers or Castrol, fully synthetic VW spec 504 000/507 000. 5W30, 0W30 for fuel economy, I guess it is getting quite hot in SA so 5W40 or 10W40 might be better there or 10W60 if You push it hard quite often.

3)no replacement interval specified, basically replaced when it gets clogged and interferes with fuel flow which should never happen if fuel is clean. I replace them with first service after buying car as a preventative measure and then every second year if I own car that long.

4) as Singh says
Old 11th July 2011, 05:30 AM

Thanx for all the advice Gents..... Moochas Gratias....

Got a bit of a shock when I checked the air Filter on the weekend...

Anybody Using something like a K&N Filter ???

Old 11th July 2011, 06:49 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Be a bit careful with re-usable filters. Those that need oiling can cause the MAF to fail if too much oil is used.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 3rd September 2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Be a bit careful with re-usable filters. Those that need oiling can cause the MAF to fail if too much oil is used.
I agree 100%. One of the main reasons I never run aftermarket air cleaner elements. The aftermarket "free flowing" ones have been extensively tested, and there is a slight gain in engine output, but lots of dips and troughs in the power graphs.

OEM will give the best gains over a wider power band - and well they should do, Audi must have invested millions in their research for the best combination of flow, filteration, power and fuel economy.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 6th September 2011, 01:31 PM

On the weekend I decided to tackle the Windscreen Washer that is not working and removed the Airbox to get to it (as per ELSA) only to find that
the only way to get it out is through the wheel arch... Hmmm

Needless to say I didn't get that far....but found a few other issues I need
to resolve.

I am getting to much dirt bypassing the filter and ending up on the screen just before the MAF. So I need to seal the Airbox up properly which requires sealing the Aftermarket SAI that is fitted....

This brings me to a plea for a pic of the top of the Motor at the intake manifold with the Top Engine Cover removed.
I am trying to establish what are the aftermarket mods that have been installed that are all related to the SAI in the Airbox. I am trying to establish the purpose of this whole Mod.

I would really appreciate it if someone with a S8 D2 could post a Pic as requested above.

Thanx Guys

" Love the Sound of a V8....... All Day " *still wish it was a V10*

2002 S8 D2 F/L
H & R Springs, Koni Coil Overs, Dastek Chip, Sport Exhaust, 19" S5 Rims, Solar Sun Roof (Cause we have Sun) and most of the Bells & Whistles.
Old 6th September 2011, 03:38 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Send a pic of exactly what area you want photographed and I'll get it done
Old 7th September 2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue8 View Post
Send a pic of exactly what area you want photographed and I'll get it done
Thanx Mate.......

If you could let me have a Pic similar to this then I can see if and what are
Aftermarket fittings....piping and wiring.

" Love the Sound of a V8....... All Day " *still wish it was a V10*

2002 S8 D2 F/L
H & R Springs, Koni Coil Overs, Dastek Chip, Sport Exhaust, 19" S5 Rims, Solar Sun Roof (Cause we have Sun) and most of the Bells & Whistles.