A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 22nd September 2013, 04:17 AM

Default My 2000 A8L D2 w supercharger

Folks...I'm a newbie here from Sydney...have been on AudiAddict for a while...rather than re-post - have a look here if you wish...
http://audiaddict.net/viewtopic.php?...08ff9591402c73

Plus some videos onYoutube - search for "obevz" or "A8L Supercharged"

Quick summary
Bought her when she was 3 (2004) @ 92,000kms
One of only 18 A8L D2's imported in Australia by Audi.
At around 150kms, installed a Lysholm AX2300 Supercharger kit - ($20K) :
Had gearbox overhauled - it got a bit "slippy" and upgraded (std mod):
At 191,000 blew up the engine - with a whimper. Strange, about 1 month after the "major" 190,000km service ($4,900!)
Replaced it with a low compression, toughened rods, forged piston engine, with ported & polished RS6 heads. from Overland Parts in Gilroy, CA USA...really nice people, know their stuff...ask for Steve Zlotkin.
RS4 20" low profile rims & tyres
Custom extractors, racing CATS
9 different freekin exhaust systems - current is from cats into one 3" all the way to a small muffler and a larger back.

New projects
Replacing Radiator - coolant been overheating since I installed the supercharger in around 2007-8. Found out a simple fix...remove the long robber seal just behind the engine...that separates the engine bay from the air-con intakes...a tad smelly sometimes...but no overheating...unfortunately the radiator leaks - so a newbie on it's way Sep 2013

Am I going nuts?
Looking at replacing Supercharger with twin turbos - ala RS6 style...I think I may need a smack in the head...or start looking for beefed up Auto gearboxes - anybody?

BTW- I just had my sunroof fully replaced by Audi - for free...been leaking 4ever...Audi = nice folks

Keep well - happy to post pics...but 99% are on the AudiAddict link and Carl at A8Parts has been a great help over the years.

I do have the four Tyre Pressure Sensors and the TP Control unit...if anybody needs them...
The S8 from which my dashboard came (via A8Parts) had tyre pressure sensors and when that S8 went "bang"...this feature was enabled. And since my car never had that option, I now have a permanent message on my dash, that my tyres are flat... . Apparently the only way to re-set that to "OFF" is to have the option fitted and then via the menu, select "OFF"...but at $4K for Audi to fit these sensors, I can live with a flat-type image

Sorry for waffling...cheers, Osc
Old 22nd September 2013, 06:33 AM

Hi Oscar cool car it's nice to see a supercharged one, I would like some more power between 1500-4000rpm as this where I drive it 90% of the time. Unfortanaly mine is my daily driver now and with 5am start times I need it to be reliable, and the way uk insurance is going it makes it a real pain to get cover when the car is modified. Which is a shame because I've never even driven a supercharged car and I'd love to do a lysholm conversion. Any more pics? I've not got used to uploading them myself. Not used to this ipad thing.
Chees dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 22nd September 2013, 11:00 AM

Thats a very cool project, nice power you are getting too.
Just throwing a suggestion out there. Have you considered a bigger engine?
Down there in OZ you guys have a lot of American blocks, LS3, LS6, LS7, they make really nice NA power.
With supercharger, and even more so with turbos, you are adding extra weight to the car, so you are chasing the weight with more power.
If you went N/A, with a LS3 block for example, you would lose around 15kg, LS3 is lighter than the stock Audi 4.2 block.
And for gearbox, if you want more robust, go with a Audi 01E 6-speed manual. Loads of guys doing engine swaps (GT40, etc) are using them because its such a strong gearbox.
Plus, going manual, you will lose another 70kgs at least, and reduce your drive train lossess. Did you know that Audi auto box weighs 145kg dry! almost as much as the engine! Also lets say the auto box loses around 20% of the power, the manual probably only loses around 10%.
Plus the car will be more reliable N/A, no turbos to worry about. And LS3's are known as very tough, no timing belts to break, no cam chain tensioners with plastic guides, iron sleeved cylinders instead of impossible to replace chemical lining, etc.

Have a look at this thread, this guy put in a LS1 + 01E in a Audi RS6 shell, although no amount of power is ever enough so he add turbos in the end
There is a shop in OZ that makes the LS block to 01E adapter.

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39901