A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 26th January 2015, 01:13 PM
Banned

i have xenon to start with .. and as far as im aware the Bi xenon is simply a shutter inside the projector that flipps up when Main beam is selected where as the standard xenon with halogen main beam keeps on the dip and then ads the main as well this is why i thought the light output from the lights i have are much brighter..

Are the FL lights definatly different to the pre facelift lights ? just curious as i need to know when i change my bumper over and so on.

Thanks for all the Advice so far
Old 26th January 2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
i have xenon to start with .. and as far as im aware the Bi xenon is simply a shutter inside the projector that flipps up when Main beam is selected where as the standard xenon with halogen main beam keeps on the dip and then ads the main as well this is why i thought the light output from the lights i have are much brighter..
That's all bi-xenons are.
YOu can hear it opening nad closing when activated

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFF2XoZJIBo
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 26th January 2015, 02:35 PM
Banned

id be interested in making a my own unit up .. ie Bi xenon with halogen Main .. and i can convert the main beam to a Cree 100W LED with Balast they are amazing . i seen one on a Golf and the light output is Crazy ..

I think i will Just Build my own from 2 or 3 different lights im not to fussed about DRL i can Use a Cree T10 50W LED for the side light instead of the W501 i think that set up would suit me nice .. after all .. no point building a Car how i want it if its totally factory standard parts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H1-50W-CRE...-/301263492538

Simmilar to this kind of thing.. but i found one that is £85 but the light output is 3800 Lummens .. the same as having 500W bulbs in your Car and they are instant reacting lights
Old 26th January 2015, 03:16 PM

I have been looking at high power LEDs myself. The issue that I am worried is that if you put them inside headlight housing and close the cap the fan will just be blowing hot air around inside the lap and not cool properly, if you leave it open dust and moisture will get inside lamp. I have been thinking of using heat-pipe heatsinks from laptops to transfer the heat from the bulb to the outside of headlight and cool with external fan.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 26th January 2015, 07:17 PM

[quote=ainarssems;87937....I am worried is that if you put them inside headlight housing and close the cap the fan will just be blowing hot air around inside the lamp and not cool properly,....[/QUOTE]

I think that would be OK, the genuine Audi LED headlamps do just that.
The heatsink will probably be trying to keep below 80˚C but is also quite a low thermal mass. Hopefully the output is reduced if they get too hot.
Old 27th January 2015, 01:45 AM

All sounds very interesting, legal issues aside for have the equivalent light output of a 500w lamp what would the testing station make of it would they pass it?

Old 27th January 2015, 08:48 AM
Banned

Good Question ive no idea.. as its a main beam and is not on all the time like a Dip maybe they dont mind... i used to have some Rally bulbs in my D2 and they were 150W and said on the Box not street legal .. off road use only .. but again this was for my main beam so i never had issues i just dip when needed ..

PS im not worried about heat buil up as my main beam is only ever on in bursts.. mainly on dip everywhere but you can always dip every so often if you think they may get hot
Old 27th January 2015, 08:52 AM
Banned

there is lots of Golf's that have the LED lights converted.. im guessing the Factory standard LED set ups have some kind of cooling System ..i had no idea that LED's Got so hot to be honest i always thought they were cold running ?

But then ive never played with a high output before
Old 29th January 2015, 05:58 AM

I have bought these now for full beam PF D2 : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gen-2..._US_2015-01-28

I had them in basket for a while and finally bought them as they are 30% off at the moment.No separate driver, it is integrated at the end of lamp and comes with rubber dust covers so that heatsink and driver can be left exposed to the outside.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 29th January 2015, 09:00 AM

These look like the beasty!!!
Please let us know how they are.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)