A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 8th December 2022, 04:12 PM

Default Boot leak

Upon opening the boot for the first time in a couple of months I was greeted by an unpleasant cascade of water running from behind the boot lid carpet out of the window end of it and out of the bulb change hatch I then checked under the boot carpet and found about an inch in the spare wheel well. Clearly it’s been sneaking in for a while! Is there a common leak point in the boot lid? I’m guessing round the lights but peeping up with a torch revealed little but condensation on all the metal areas. The lid itself appears to have a couple of small bungs at the bottom in what I would assume will be drains to outside which I’ve popped out for now so anything sneaking in can just run out of the bottom and brought the carpet indoors to dry as it’s soggy along the bottom. The wheel well fish bowl is dried and the spare sat in the boot for now. Any pointers welcome!

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 8th December 2022, 04:36 PM

Its the rubber seal round the bootlid tail lights. These are bonded to the plastic light housing, but when they are hit hard by a pressure washer to blast the moss and slime out of them the pressure pops the bonding apart leaving a capilliary path for water to get in.

My solution is to remove the lights and clean them carefully with a toothbrush then dry them thoroughly, then I use Loctite 480 to bond the rubber back in place. This is a rubber-reinforced cyanoacrylate-based adhesive which wicks all the way round the rubber seal and bonds it back as it should be. Leave it overnight to set up thoroughly and then refit the light unit.

Some cars have butyl rubber behind the light to accomodate the joints in the sheet metal of the boot lid, which can usually be reused. Others have a small dab of silicone sealant instead, which can't be reused. In those cases, clean it off both parts and apply a new small dab of sealant.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 8th December 2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 8th December 2022, 05:03 PM

muchas gracias. Tiny hard to get at nuts and bolts jobs then. Job for the weekend. Until then the drain plugs being removed should at least let it out.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 8th December 2022, 06:01 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

And a response with the fix from the guru in less than 25 minutes!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 4th January 2023, 10:19 AM

I had this on my first A8, and really struggled to fix it- I extensively sealed up all the rear lights and the rear number plate area- but in the end it was a seal in the o/s/f corner of the boot lid underside that had failed (so near to the lower corner of the rear window).
I just got a 3D printed replacement for my S8, from MikkiJayne as its had gone the same way.

Actually, your leak seems a bit different- mine was water going inside the boot lid.

Here's that thread anyway- it might help.
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=191

Last edited by Simon Wallwork; 4th January 2023 at 10:31 AM.