A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 13th November 2017, 10:20 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

That's a good price. Plus PSU presumably?

I wonder why they don't take cryptocurrency payments, only USD.

With hindsight, it may have been better to buy one of those instead of a D3. Hopefully the price of Dash should continue to rise though. The price has certainly been bullish lately.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th November 2017, 01:42 PM

Hi There,

Started playing with my GPU rig the other day, installing old driver and different miner and hit a bit of a brick wall around the low 50s. Also getting a few stale shares. I also managed to get a fan wire tangled in my CPU fan which knocked the machine out for an afternoon, but was thankfully easy to solve and now I know CPU overheat protection works!!!
Since I wasn't entirely happy with the rig, I got a USB drive and a download of Ethos. Plugged it in last night and it almost worked straight away. Only issue was I had a wifi dongle and it needed an ethernet cable which was easy enough as it was sat near a switch. Change a few lines in a config script and away it went. Again low 50s, so it confirms my theory about the DAG effecting Etherium hash rates. It overclocks nicely though and i'm now up to ~56 and interestingly my stale shares have dropped too.
Doing some more reading and the Nvidia cards arn't best suited to Ethereum so i'll be having a play with Zcash tonight!
There's an inbuilt miner for it in Ethos, though I may switch back to Windows 10 as that's literally just unplug the USB stick.

That's definitely a useful tool to have to check things and as an instant get your self out of trouble if you break something in Windows and it's bed time!

The A7 is doing really well on Slushpool. Don't know quite what happened over the weekend but the blocks were worth 20+ rather than the normal 15-16. Meant i was pulling in 0.00012 BTC rather than 0.00008 BTC a coin and they were dropping nicely too. Average drop was about 2:15 and is now down to 1:45 so they were coming in thicker and faster.

Netted 0.00166 BTC on Sunday, That's £8.25 for a day!!!

Am guessing something to do with fee's ?

Would love to snag a reasonable S9 or even an R4 (saw a couple at £1500 over the weekend!!!)

Lee

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 14th November 2017, 04:12 PM

I've been meaning to give ethOS a try. Sounds good.

I went with Windows 10 on all my rigs, mainly because I have far more experience with Windows. It's what I work with every day (in my IT support role) and all my tools and remote support software natively support it. It would be interesting to compare performance with a Linux OS such as ethOS though ...

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 15th November 2017, 10:09 AM

Looks like Clif High's predictions may be correct again, with some world events driving more nations towards cryptocurrencies and a general positive shift towards mainstream adoption by investors and retail (inc the recent Amazon rumours):

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...to-seize-power

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitc...eam-continues/

http://www.ejinsight.com/20171115-bi...e-fund-legend/

I think a BTC price of $10K by the end of the year still looks possible, but looking at the present news and climate, I think we'll see the price really rocket early next year, just as Clif predicted.

Cars Owned:

Old 15th November 2017, 11:01 AM

Did not know that Bitmain made GPU rigs as well

https://www.bitsonline.com/antminer-...ng-rig-review/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2171488.0
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bitmain-A...MAAOSwY~1Z8I5~

On another news Chinese and EU companies applying for mining opeartions in Russia https://news.bitcoin.com/companies-c...itcoin-russia/

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 15th November 2017, 11:41 AM

I hadn't seen those Bitmain GPU rigs before either, or at least I wasn't aware they were made by Bitmain if I had. I don't think I've ever seen them listed on their website.

Russia seems to be making a complete U-turn in their attitude towards cryptocurrencies, and they're not the first to do so. It seems the knee-jerk reaction by some governments is to ban cryptocurrencies, until they realise that not only is it futile to ban them, but that their economy has far more to lose by fighting them.

Cars Owned:

Old 15th November 2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I've been meaning to give ethOS a try. Sounds good.
I'm an ex sysadmin from about 15yrs back. Been running a small family manufacturing company since, so i'm pretty out of date on stuff!

Get a copy of Ethos, there are downloads about. It's GPL but they charge for it officially, though it can be distributed! Clean USB drive on windows, 7zip to extract the ISO. Rufus to write the USB drive. Plug into a miner rig and boot and it should come up nicely with a GUI front end. The start icon has a few useful shortcuts to edit configs, a web browser and next to it a file manager

It's set for mass remote mining, so edit the remote config and # it out to use the local config (# is rem in a bat file). Edit the local config with wallet, pool, miner and any other settings wanted (there's lots of examples #'d out). Reboot machine and it'll come up and mine what you want.
The conf files are very similar to windows dos batch files as they're pretty much the same miners.

There's a command line terminal window open on the GUI as well which you can type all sorts of commands. Helpme gives a list of the Ethos specific things. You can stop/start the miner, kick the Overclock settings, show the miner, use Nvidia-smi etc

It's a nicely stripped down, compact and sole use OS that just works, however you can tweak quite easily and google most things. There's loads of youtube/help guides on the net. Needs an ethernet cable though, but that's better for lack of stale shares!

Switched to EWBF miner last night (already installed, as are most the obvious ones) and started to have a play with BTG last night. 1100 sols on suprnova though i did pick up a coinami wallet on my phone last night which does have BTG and loads of other currencies in one, which is nice as a temp wallet.

Also ordered a Leger Nano S on Amazon. Couple of days to get here and direct from them. About the same price and less hassle than direct!

Those Bitmain GPU miners look very industrial. Personally if you have the skills/time to build custom it's probably cheaper and better

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 17th November 2017, 09:15 PM

Some interesting development for D3. Might be able to run it 15GH/s at 750W and maybe even possibility to run other algorithms.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2346161.0;all

8 history:
Old 17th November 2017, 09:30 PM

Nice find

Hoping to get a shipping notification for my D3 soon. Have you had anything from then about yours yet?

Cars Owned:

Old 17th November 2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Nice find

Hoping to get a shipping notification for my D3 soon. Have you had anything from then about yours yet?
Nothing yet, it's shipping date 21st-30th November so I am not expecting anything anytime soon. Like people say - hope for the best, prepare for the worst so if it gets shipped by end of November I am happy with it.

8 history: