A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th February 2018, 11:33 PM

Default Expensive few weeks

Having just replaced the PAS hoses which judging by Audi prices must have been gold plated...now I need to replace the F125 switch..funny how these things seem to happen together..much better than driving a Mondeo though

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 15th February 2018, 08:59 AM

If you take into account the low (or nil?) depreciation then the annual costs dont look so bad. I have spent around £1.3k pa on mine over the last 5 years on tyres, winter wheels, servicing (mostly by myself), preventive maintenance and repairs. It also includes MoTs. Any new car would, of course, require some of the same but the depreciation would be huge.
So, using man maths, you are saving money Brian
......and I cant see you as Mondeo man
Old 15th February 2018, 01:25 PM

I am in the same boat. I just keep consoling myself that the expensive components I am replacing should last another 16 years
Old 15th February 2018, 06:32 PM

I do think that the F125 switch is prone to failing more quickly if you dont do much mileage or use the car every day or two. Mine was new with the factory exchange gearbox and had only done about 20,000 miles but it felt like one of the prongs inside had almost welded itself into the contact plate so that when it was moved it snapped off - totally sympathize Brian

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 15th February 2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I do think that the F125 switch is prone to failing more quickly if you dont do much mileage or use the car every day or two. Mine was new with the factory exchange gearbox and had only done about 20,000 miles but it felt like one of the prongs inside had almost welded itself into the contact plate so that when it was moved it snapped off - totally sympathize Brian
I agree with that - mine was just fine till I stopped driving Herman regularly

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:27 PM

Having opened up mine after its failure, it isn't surprising that both lack of use and, eventually, wear over the 100k miles lead to failure. Its an old-fashioned, electromechanical piece of kit where copper, brass alloys and electricity mix. The lubricating grease gets swept away leaving contacts on the copper strips when not used.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:34 PM

Lack of use could be a factor in my case too. Thinking about it I havn't really had any big bills other than routine maintenance, tyres, brakes etc for a few years so probably can't complain. Drove it into Glasgow earlier to drop a tyre off with Tintin..and it just reminded what a wonderful car it is

Old 28th February 2018, 08:38 PM

F125 Switch and "mini service" carried out today, so S8 fully functioning again, do hope I am not tempting fate Excelled itself on way back from mechanic, easily passing lesser cars stuck on the hill in the snow with the style and panache that only an 8 can Should be ready for it's NC500 trip at the end of April now

Old 1st March 2018, 07:23 PM

Best of luck, good to hear it turned out good

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98