A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 31st January 2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Is that a short one that goes straight to the pump Jim? If it's the one I'm thinking of I don't think it's super expensive (or at least it wasn't). I had that one replaced a few years before the other 3 hoses because it was leaking slightly at the pump end.

I think the 3 hoses in question all run from the pump to the steering rack (or maybe it's just 2 of them, I'm not sure). I think part of the problem is that they pass through (or very near) the n/s wheel arch so they're a little exposed to the weather and anything the wheel can throw at them. It was under the wheel arch area where my leak started.
Think that might be the one I had to get made up from Pirtek, don't know how much it was yet.......

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 1st February 2018, 11:46 AM

Well I got 'lucky', the high pressure delivery pipe I need is 'only' £289 + VAT from Germany.
The dealer was kind to me and is giving me a 10% discount.
I may as well get the cheaper return pipe which is only £78.

All in all £400 for two pipes! They better last another 16 years!
Old 1st February 2018, 01:40 PM

Does anyone have the three part numbers for these pipes? If they are already scarce, it may be worth trying to track some down before they all disappear, as others have mentioned. That way we can all add to our stockpile of 'spares'.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st February 2018, 02:03 PM

4D0422887K - supply hose from reservoir to pump. Think this is NLA already
4D2422893D - pressure hose front half (one of the expensive ones)
4D2422893M - pressure hose rear half (the other expensive one)
4D2422891C - return line to cooler (I think Mark had the last of these)
4D0422891C - return from cooler to reservoir (just a plain hose)

These are all for V8s btw. V6s are different. The two pressure hoses are the ones to get as the union between the two is in the wheel well and rusts out. These are the complicated ones which are non-trivial to replicate. The pump supply and the return hoses can be recovered by crimping new hose on old unions.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 1st February 2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 1st February 2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
4D2422893D - pressure hose rear half (the other expensive one)

These are all for V8s btw. V6s are different. The two pressure hoses are the ones to get as the union between the two is in the wheel well and rusts out. These are the complicated ones which are non-trivial to replicate. The pump supply and the return hoses can be recovered by crimping new hose on old unions.
Wow! Is there anything you don't know about these cars MJ?

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 1st February 2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
4D2422893D - pressure hose rear half (the other expensive one)

Brilliant MJ.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 1st February 2018, 05:22 PM

Just realised I got a number wrong - pressure hose rear half is 4D2422893M
Old 1st February 2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Wow! Is there anything you don't know about these cars MJ?
Tintin, MJ is fallable, after all!

Quote:
Just realised I got a number wrong - pressure hose rear half is 4D2422893M
Everyone is entitled to the odd mistake, once in a while. Just glad you're here to help the rest of us.

Old 6th February 2018, 03:27 PM

Just been having alook at my PS hoses to assess their state given MJ's comments about the corrosion issues and their exposure in the wheel arch area. Mine appear in good shape with no corrosion on the sleeve joints/crimps and the rubber appears good too. As a help to others identifying the hoses I produced the diagram below from the on-line parts app suitably annotated with MJs parts ID. (excuse the poor colouring in )
Attached Files
File Type: pdf POWER STEERING.pdf (77.4 KB, 238 views)
Old 6th February 2018, 04:01 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Just been having alook at my PS hoses to assess their state given MJ's comments about the corrosion issues and their exposure in the wheel arch area. Mine appear in good shape with no corrosion on the sleeve joints/crimps and the rubber appears good too. As a help to others identifying the hoses I produced the diagram below from the on-line parts app suitably annotated with MJs parts ID. (excuse the poor colouring in )
Nicely done David!

Except for the colouring in of course. Didn't they teach you how to keep inside the lines at school?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust