A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 1st August 2017, 08:43 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Just found out that the electricity at my workshop is now 14p a unit compared to 8p in 2015 when I last had a bill That means my 980 has earned £21 and used £19 of electricity doing it, and since I have 2 years of electricity to pay for now (cos the landlord forgot about it until I reminded him last week) I'll have to sell the card to raise some cash (unless demand for Ethereum goes up considerably after the fork - seems unlikely?)

It also renders the S9 somewhat pointless since it'd take a year to break even, although I guess it'd have some resale value since it would become unprofitable for me a lot sooner than someone with free electricity! How the L3+ would work out remains to be seen, since I don't believe the sales calculator on Nicehash.

Bonfire somewhat rained on

Just switched tariffs at home and got 12.8p

That sucks. 14p/kWh is about the same as I pay.

I'm paying nothing for my Antminer's electricity because that's at my customer's premises but I have a growing number of GPU miners in my home/workshop. In the cooler months they effectively cost nothing to run because I need less/no additional heating. At this time of year they're probably not very profitable (at the present Bitcoin price) but then that doesn't really matter to me because I'm using them to accumulate cryptocurrencies that I believe will be worth substantially more in the not-so-distant future. Also, I can claim a proportion of my electricity bill as a business expense. I have been considering investing in some solar panels too though ...
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 1st August 2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 1st August 2017, 09:19 AM

I've been contemplating solar too. A 4KW setup at home would probably make a decent offset of the unit price and power some miners when I'm not at home.

At the moment my 980 will barely break even so I might as well just buy BTC with GBP if I were going the investment route. Curious that the payout figures are still in decline. I was sort of expecting a bit of a jump today, but I saw something that said BCC wouldn't activate for a couple of weeks so are people still waiting for that?

I was looking at Antminers on ebay last night. Amazing how much more than retail they are selling for! If the L3+ really does return what Nicehash says it does though, its almost worth over-paying to avoid waiting for the next batch. There are a couple from the late August batch currently at £2800 with 2 days to go, and actual UK stock listed for £6K each
Old 1st August 2017, 09:58 AM

Wow £6K! I suppose they deserve to sell at a premium in the UK because the seller is effectively providing a service, taking away the waiting time and some of the risks of buying from China (although I think I'd prefer to buy from the manufacturer than some unknown Ebay seller). But I think £6K is a bit OTT. £3-4K would be more reasonable IMO.

I haven't been able to understand the correlation with Bitcoin's price and NiceHash's pay rates either. I'm not sure there even is a direct correlation. I suppose most buyers are using the hashing power to mine altcoins. Presently it seems altcoins are being sold in favour of Bitcoin as people rush to hoard as much Bitcoin as possible before the creation of BCC a little later today. Thier reasoning of course being that the more Bitcoin they hold, the more 'free cash' they receive. The reality of course is more complicated than that and I expect we'll see the prices of both adjust to compensate for the split.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 1st August 2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I've been contemplating solar too. A 4KW setup at home would probably make a decent offset of the unit price and power some miners when I'm not at home.

At the moment my 980 will barely break even so I might as well just buy BTC with GBP if I were going the investment route. Curious that the payout figures are still in decline. I was sort of expecting a bit of a jump today, but I saw something that said BCC wouldn't activate for a couple of weeks so are people still waiting for that?

I was looking at Antminers on ebay last night. Amazing how much more than retail they are selling for! If the L3+ really does return what Nicehash says it does though, its almost worth over-paying to avoid waiting for the next batch. There are a couple from the late August batch currently at £2800 with 2 days to go, and actual UK stock listed for £6K each

Can you not run them off a street lamp?

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 1st August 2017, 10:06 AM

Just a thought MJ .... Which model of 980 do you have and is it a Ti?

If you do decide to sell it I might be interested in buying it.

Cars Owned:

Old 1st August 2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Can you not run them off a street lamp?
I bet it won't be the first time someone has

The cards do run off 12 volts though so .... got spare engine and alternator lying around?

Cars Owned:

Old 1st August 2017, 11:20 AM

Its an MSI Gaming 6G 980ti. You can have first refusal if I do sell it

I wonder what the efficiency of a 12V DC PV system is compared to a domestic AC system? 1.5KW of panels is about £1500 but I would think the controller to charge batteries from solar or mains at 1.5KW would be prohibitively expensive due to the current. Most of the controllers on ebay are 30A max. It'd need a fair chunk of batteries too. Making BTC from sunlight is an attractive proposal though

I suspect a diesel powered mining rig would not be economically viable, and possibly a bit noisy

Ooh, how about an S8-powered single GPU rig? I'm sure the V8 can spare 300W without really noticing. Generate LTC as you drive about?

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 1st August 2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 1st August 2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Ooh, how about an S8-powered single GPU rig? I'm sure the V8 can spare 300W without really noticing. Generate LTC as you drive about?
Now there's an idea!

Should be possible with a mobile broadband modem. Hmmm, generating LTC over LTE. I wonder how well that would work ...

Cars Owned:

Old 1st August 2017, 11:57 AM

As a thought experiment an Antminer S3 would run on an S8's electrical system and would generate 1p an hour to offset your fuel costs The 980ti would do slightly better at 5p an hour, but would require a carpc installation to work so adds complexity.

Using a 110hp TDI engine (since I have lots of those) to drive a 40KW generator would power 25 Antminer S9s and generate £9 an hour. Running it on kerosene (cos it's heating the house, right?) would be about £7 an hour in fuel costs, based on off-the-interwebs guestimates of diesel genset fuel consumption.

What you really need is, say, a 40 foot water wheel in your back garden powering an alternator, and run some miners from that. Making money from gravity
Old 1st August 2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
What you really need is, say, a 40 foot water wheel in your back garden powering an alternator, and run some miners from that. Making money from gravity

Getting planning permission for a 40ft water wheel could be tricky. And diverting the local river might upset a few environmentalist types.

You just need to build a nuclear reactor. How hard can that be?

Cars Owned: