A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 10th February 2018, 08:46 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I was thinking something like this for rpm signal https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NE555-Adj...53.m1438.l2649 I don't think it would matter if it's fixed speed, just set it about 4500-5000 rpm( 9-10kHz)
Certainly simpler and worth trying. It should work as long as the fan control isn't closed-loop. My guess is it won't be but it might flag a fault if it is. Might be best to set the fan speed to 100% before disconnecting the fan, so that it's not trying to adjust it, then set the 555 to output a frequency that matches a 100% fan speed.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 10th February 2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Be Quite fans will be too weak. Their 12cm model is only 50CFM/ 17Pa Static pressure (73CFM/ 33Pa for high speed model). Bitmmain does use several different fans but you are looking at 180 to 200+ CFM and 200-300 Pa static pressure. So this 5 inch model with 180 CFM, 230Pa should be suitable considering that original fan does not run at full speed https://www.airconcentre.co.uk/manro...+fan/912387649
One potential problem I've just thought of with that extractor fan is the air temperature. According to the spec sheet it has a maximum running temperature of 40 degrees. It might be ok if you can put it far enough downstream and shed some of the heat along the way.

You probably won't need much acoustic ducting if the fan your using is a lot quieter and just 2 or 3 metres reduces noise quite well I find, so you could use some plain metal ducting to allow some of the heat to escape before it hits the fan.

In my cellar, I have 2 L3s that exhaust through about 400mm of acoustic ducting before merging into a single (approx 3 metre) length of acoustic ducting that takes the heat up into the house. At the merge point I've used a metal Y splitter (in reverse). Checking the temperature there I'm getting 60+ degrees C. At the far end, in the house, where I've used plastic ducting adaptors, I'm getting about 50 degrees C and very little noise coming out of the end of the ducting. To get closer to the 40 degrees running temperature of that fan, I suspect you'll need 2 or 3 metres of uninsulated metal ducting in addition to (or instead of) the acoustic ducting.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 10th February 2018, 02:47 PM

That Manrose fan I was thinking on using on intake to push fresh air in the miner and hopefully get away without exhaust fan.

Are you using 4 inch or 5 inch ducting? I have bought 4" but now I am thinking I should gave gone 5". As my adapters are still with UPS I got some of these for temporary testing https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-s...te-100mm/18561

They are quite restricting and chip temp have gone 80C to 90C and fan from 4500 to 5800 rpm for S9 with 4 feet of ducting on either side of miner. Hopefully the proper adapters will do better. Sound level has gone from 80dB to 70dB inside garage but outside of garage it's pretty much unchanged at around 50dB so it does not really help me neighbours and is a long way from Environment Protection Act of 1997 45dB for daytime and 35dB night time for residential area. I have ordered one of those Manrose fans and signal generator for testing. If it does not work out I might need to give up S9 and D3 and just use L3+ and GPUs.

Also there is no fan settings on these later batch autotune S9s. But there are some people working on custom firmware that will have fand, clock and voltage settings so I might be able to underclock/undervolt S9 and keep it.

Edit:It does seem pretty quite at the end of duct, sound meter still reads about 70dB just like in the free space in garage but putting it next to the side of miner it''s 85dB. I have been offered a non working fridge freezer so will try to cut holes in sides of it for ducts and place the miners inside to see how it goes. Fire safety leaves me a bit worried, need to try and set fire to the inside plastic of fridge and see how fire resistant it is.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 10th February 2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10th February 2018, 03:45 PM

I see noise is an issue for you guys too. I was surprised how loud the S9 is compared to the l3+

I have ghetto bodged into it packing box with a hole cut either end for ducting but its still too loud.

I'm considering making some sort of sound deadened enclosure for it and its other cousins that are coming.

Not sure how to configure it though.

One big enclosure or a modular setup?

Old 10th February 2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post

On the subject of banking: Somewhat unsurprisingly, many of the high street banks have now made their position clear by imposing restrictions on cryptocurrency trading, in some cases even closing accounts of customers who chose to invest in cryptocurrencies with their own money ... which serves to highlight the control they have on our money and the need for change.
It's pretty dispicable. To be honest i've not entirely trusted banks for a long while and i'm someone that likes lots of baskets for my eggs. Hence having an account with Santander, Nat West & Nationwide. I auto transfer things between them to keep them all alive and kicking. One is for bills, one general and the Nationwide allows access to a high interest saver of 5%. Was 5K last year, but they've halved it this year alas. Still it gives me multiple access points if I loose a card or something else happens. Splits any danger points

I've got a few credit cards too. Amex was always the best for cashback, but not as universal. Santander 123 (current link, cost £5 a month, but interest and bills cover that and makes, plus various other benefits IF i need them) and an AA one for fuel cashback as the 4.2 v8 is thirsty. I love cash back cards, but all are paid off balances so no interest.....Free money for using a different bit of plastic. I make a few hundered a year that way!!!

I've also got a Monzo card, again it was traveling and stuff that pushed me down that way. It's been ok. A kind of top up card, but they're moving to being an alt bank. Have an invite, though don't think you NEED them these days

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 10th February 2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I wonder if I could remove existing fans from Antminers and use something like this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-m...flow-fan/26867

It's a lot quieter at 24dB, not sure if it will provide enough cooling, I understand I would need some signal generator for rpm to keep Antminer happy Or I could remove the blades from the original fans and just keep the motors running to provide speed reading
Thought that the Antminer throwed a wobbly if you changed / deleted the fans ???

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 10th February 2018, 04:31 PM

Yes it does, that's were the signal generator comes in https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NE555-Adj...53.m1438.l2649

8 history:
Old 10th February 2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I have been offered a non working fridge freezer so will try to cut holes in sides of it for ducts and place the miners inside to see how it goes. Fire safety leaves me a bit worried, need to try and set fire to the inside plastic of fridge and see how fire resistant it is
Not sure what's the best way to cut a hole in fridge, I guess the metal is quite thin. Also not sure what to do with PSU's if I put them inside I will need some ventilation for them as well.

8 history:
Old 10th February 2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
That Manrose fan I was thinking on using on intake to push fresh air in the miner and hopefully get away without exhaust fan.

Are you using 4 inch or 5 inch ducting? I have bought 4" but now I am thinking I should gave gone 5". As my adapters are still with UPS I got some of these for temporary testing https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-s...te-100mm/18561

They are quite restricting and chip temp have gone 80C to 90C and fan from 4500 to 5800 rpm for S9 with 4 feet of ducting on either side of miner. Hopefully the proper adapters will do better. Sound level has gone from 80dB to 70dB inside garage but outside of garage it's pretty much unchanged at around 50dB so it does not really help me neighbours and is a long way from Environment Protection Act of 1997 45dB for daytime and 35dB night time for residential area. I have ordered one of those Manrose fans and signal generator for testing. If it does not work out I might need to give up S9 and D3 and just use L3+ and GPUs.

Also there is no fan settings on these later batch autotune S9s. But there are some people working on custom firmware that will have fand, clock and voltage settings so I might be able to underclock/undervolt S9 and keep it.

Edit:It does seem pretty quite at the end of duct, sound meter still reads about 70dB just like in the free space in garage but putting it next to the side of miner it''s 85dB. I have been offered a non working fridge freezer so will try to cut holes in sides of it for ducts and place the miners inside to see how it goes. Fire safety leaves me a bit worried, need to try and set fire to the inside plastic of fridge and see how fire resistant it is.
I'm using 4 inch ducting, but only on the exhaust side so far. I did consider 6 inch ducting for parts of the run because I'm merging a couple of them together into one ducting (only the lower-power L3+ miners) but it started getting complicated finding the right adaptors, so I stuck with 4 inch throughout. At roughly 80 degrees, the chip temps are probably slightly higher than they would be without the ducting, but they are getting cool air from the cellar. I'm yet to put an S9 down there. I'm planning to encase them first (probably in MDF painted with fire-proof paint) to make them a bit quieter.

Using the extractor fan to push air through the miner is a good idea but it might not work so well on its own. I think it's likely that some of the cool air might escape out of the various openings instead of passing right through, especially on the D3 and L3+ miners since they have that extra grille above the fans. I suspect that's the main reason they have a front and rear fan. You might get away with a quieter fan on the front though, just to ensure some of the cool air over gets pulled over the ASICs at the front end.

Cars Owned:

Old 10th February 2018, 06:40 PM

I'm thinking this might be the cheapest solution to the noise:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-1100-Foa.../dp/B008MVYL7C

Enough there for the neighbours too

Cars Owned: