A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 25th July 2017, 02:15 PM

Default Ventilation fan has stopped (sometimes, not always!)

Not working at all, either with ignition or driven by the solar sunroof.

Looking in the manual there's a reference to a 40A fuse but the location is not at all clear (nor if I have a spare!)
(Standard type I have spares up to 30A but is this a different type?)

The manual says "There is also a 40 amp fuse for the heater blower in the electronics/relay box under the carpet in the front right footwell. In right-hand drive models the 60 amp fuse for the radiator fan is also accommodated there".

Does this actually mean the front passenger footwell, i.e. front left on a RHD car?
If so, does anyone have a picture to show the location, or is it obvious once I dive in? (under my nice new board supplied by Sean last year )

Edit: As noted later in the thread, sometimes it works, this is not a total failure.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 1st August 2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Improve title clarity
Old 25th July 2017, 02:42 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've never had to change/check that fuse but it does seem to be in the passenger footwell, according to this pdf (position 7, S25):
Current Flow Basic equipment From model year 2001.pdf

It might be visually obvious if it's blown. Otherwise I'd pop it out and check it for continuity.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse-01.PNG
Views:	1003
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	16598   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse-02.PNG
Views:	946
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	16599  
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 25th July 2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 25th July 2017, 02:47 PM

Thanks Mark, found what I think is it mounted with a type 204 relay; looks OK, tests OK.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 25th July 2017, 03:02 PM

Found the same type of relay in the bottom row, left hand side (horn I think). Swapped them, no change. Not looking good.

All suggestions welcome as to what to try next. I'll do a VCDS scan but suspect that won't show anything.

Last edited by HPsauce; 25th July 2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 25th July 2017, 03:22 PM

Might just be corroded connections at the blower end.

I've never had a problem with the blower yet (touch Myrtle) so I don't know how easy it is to get to the connector (blower is just at the rear of the engine bay, is it not?). If it's easy to access I'd get a meter on the connector next ... see if you get a voltage there.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 25th July 2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'll do a VCDS scan but suspect that won't show anything.
VCDS scan failed on the HVAC module, too many communication errors. Everything else is fine.
Controls seem to operate and I can hear flaps moving, just no fan....
Old 25th July 2017, 03:54 PM

It's very common for the shaft sleeves of the fan to get clogged up with carbon from the brushes.
You can often get away with a clean of the centre housing.

Tapping it may give you temporary relief, or try manually ramping the fan speed up to full and see if it will go doing that.

Easy to get at fan, it's the first thing you come to under the fresh air intake grille and shut off flaps.
Good write up on Audipages for fan replacement, take the procedure as far as required...

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 25th July 2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 25th July 2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Might just be corroded connections at the blower end.

I've never had a problem with the blower yet (touch Myrtle) so I don't know how easy it is to get to the connector (blower is just at the rear of the engine bay, is it not?). If it's easy to access I'd get a meter on the connector next ... see if you get a voltage there.
I've taken the mesh cover off and with the intake flaps open (they close on recirculate) I can see two connectors, one pink and one beige. Both have at least one seriously thick cable in them.

My suspicion is that one relates to the auxiliary coolant pump and the other to the blower.

Based on this rather old post by me (about my PF in 2011) I'd say the pink (purple?) one was the pump and beige one the blower:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Bonnet up this morning, turned on "rest" and it was immediately obvious where all the plumbing etc. was, just to the nearside of the air intake.
There are 2 connectors right there, a "yellowish" one to the front and a "purplish" one by the windscreen, both just held by clips.

No tools needed, took maybe 30 seconds. Disconnecting the purple one stopped the pump.
Note that on the FL model there is only one connector (beige/yellow) visible by the pump and to disconnect the pump I cut (and insulated) the relevant wires; I suspect the connector has just moved a few inches so is less obvious/accessible.

Last edited by HPsauce; 25th July 2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 25th July 2017, 04:24 PM

It does look like it's the beige connector, judging by images such as this: https://i.imgur.com/5bmLvyn.jpg

If that connector is clean, perhaps try giving the blower a tap/spin as Marty suggests. Brushes certainly sounds a plausible explanation. If it starts working after giving it a nudge, I'd suspect warn brushes is your problem.

Cars Owned:

Old 25th July 2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
It does look like it's the beige connector
Indeed it does, and we have lift off!

While you were posting this I took the intake mesh cover off again and tried to work out which was which then attempted to access the beige one.

As I tried to pull it from it's retaining clips I heard a very slow gentle soft thud. The blower motor ticking over extremely slowly driven by the solar panel.

And sure enough a bit of wiggling and it got a bit faster. Into the car, ignition on and we're blowing again, a bit hesitant but the problem is identified.

Thanks very much for the information and suggestions Mark. I now need to undo that connector and make sure it's clean and making good contact.

PS In case anyone has the noisy coolant pump issue it looks like the pink/purple connector in there is almost certainly the one to undo to disable the pump.