A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 10th April 2018, 05:42 PM

Default Had an accident...What do I do now...?

Hello all
I just wondered if anyone had any opinions or advice on something that happened to me today...
Someone sideswiped me whilst I was stationary in traffic at a very busy roundabout. Totally their fault. The front nearside bumper is damaged. I'm awaiting a written estimate, but a verbal one was "around £800". The guy at the bodyshop was of the opinion that that the car would "likely be written off" if it went through insurance.
It's a 2000 2.8 Sport, 106k miles, FSH, well looked after and in excellent pre accident condition. I don't know what an insurer would value it at? I suspect something very low indeed? The car is worth much more to me than to anyone else given the time and money I've spent on it and I'd like to keep it if possible, but obviously would also like it fixed!
My concern is that if I deal with this through the insurer, once that process has been started and if they did indeed decide to write it off and offer me a derisory sum for it, can I stop the process at that point? Or is that a genie that doesn't go back in the bottle?
I doubt the other driver is going to come up with £800 in cash to deal with it. Quite possible they won't even admit liability I imagine. Others must have seen the incident, but in the heat of the moment I didn't get any witnesses unfortunately, so it could turn potentially into a "He said, she said" scenario.
Any thoughts or advice on how to proceed would be gratefully received as I'm not sure what to do now! Thanks :-)
Old 10th April 2018, 09:46 PM

Sorry to hear that.
If its written off you could always agree a price to buy your car back for scrap value. Someone I work with has just done this with an old Ford. They have purchased the 'wreck' and now have their car, plus (superficial) damage, and quite a bit of cash.
It's deffo worth haggling. Good luck.
Old 11th April 2018, 08:16 AM

Thanks. Yes, with a bit more research that's what I'm going to go for. I feel a long hard battle coming on getting anything reasonable out of the insurance company! ;-)
Old 11th April 2018, 08:47 AM

I had a battle with an insurance company recently. After a delivery driver swiped the bumper off mine they looked to write it off. They originally valued mine at £2,500. The repairs to mine were originally quoted at nearly £3k (all original Audi parts) so if you can get repairs for around £800 then you might be ok.

Try getting a couple of quotes ready and also look at how much it would cost to replace your car for a similar one in case they value it too low. Good luck with how it goes.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 11th April 2018, 10:02 AM

My last similar battle was a while ago but asking them to find an equivalent car in the same (pre-accident) condition and buy it eventually persuaded them to get it fixed.
Best to go through insurers anyway, if they do agree the other party is at fault there should effectively be no limit on the repairs.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th April 2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
My last similar battle was a while ago but asking them to find an equivalent car in the same (pre-accident) condition and buy it eventually persuaded them to get it fixed.
Best to go through insurers anyway, if they do agree the other party is at fault there should effectively be no limit on the repairs.
Not in my experience, insurers told me they just use the Glasses guide or CAP black book, then just write it off as uneconomical repair.

As tonup says buy it back off the insurers and ask forum sponsors if they have a bumper or find a decent repair centre have a second hand bumper sprayed and bolt it on the car yourself.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 11th April 2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Not in my experience, insurers told me they just use the Glasses guide or CAP black book, then just write it off as uneconomical repair.

As tonup says buy it back off the insurers and ask forum sponsors if they have a bumper or find a decent repair centre have a second hand bumper sprayed and bolt it on the car yourself.
I think an appeal to the Ombudsman would help in those circumstances? I believe they have to pay the amount required to put you in a car that is an equivalent, it shouldn't be hard to show what a good one of these goes for these days?

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.