A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 2nd November 2018, 10:44 PM

I've just bought one and the comfort socket.
When it arrived I wondered why.
My 8 is used every day.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 3rd November 2018, 03:41 AM

CTEK MXS 7.0 here. Wouldn’t be without it.

Yes, the MXS 5.0 is sufficient but just having that extra bit of juice for our bigger batteries is handy when needed. Plus I prefer the lights/layout of the 7 and how it shows the state of the battery.

MXS 5.0 = 110Ah max (160Ah float/maintenance)
MXS 7.0 = 150Ah max (225Ah float/maintenance)

What with large-engined Audis having massive Ah batteries, just means the MXS 7.0 charges quicker and isn’t on its limit.

Last edited by Green Goblin; 3rd November 2018 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10th November 2018, 01:11 PM

CTek in general are a great brand in chargers. Recommended by me.

Disagree with the sentiments with regards to leaving chargers connected to batteries.
Where the charger is a smart charger with a maintenance function, it is designed precisely to remain connected to a battery for a prolonged period. In the case of 0.8a chargers, that is exactly and precisely what they are designed to do, as they are insufficient for any other purpose.
Car charging systems do this as a matter of course. The recharge from a normal start is recovered in about 5-10 mins of driving, the alternator then runs the car and maintains the battery.
What kills starter batteries is deep cycling, which maintenance charging protects against.

However, old 'dumb' chargers will damage batteries if they are left connected.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:16 PM

Just bought an Aldi battery charger Model MD 18559 rated at 3.8A in charging mode and 0.8A in trickle charge mode. It is a micro processor controlled device and is intended for batteries up to 120ah. It has several modes of charging and changes over automatically to 0.8A trickle charging after achieving full charge. For £12.99 it seemed a worthwhile punt. When I alerted BrianG (voucherman) he found that it had been reduced to £9.99 - . and jogged off to buy one.
Coincidentally as i was going out today intending to take the '8 i found that its battery, after several weeks of non-use was flat. On this occasion I used the CTEK (after removing it from the motorhome!) as a CTEK charging lead is pre-fitted to the '8's battery. I will now probably permanently fit the Aldi charger to the motorhome to keep the van battery charged during the winter and use the CTEK on the '8.
However, I do note that the instructions recommend disconnecting the battery from the vehicle's + and - system before charging. This is stated in the safety warnings section at the start so I am not sure whether this is a 'elf and safety "issue" or for any other reason. Any idea why this should be?
Old 24th November 2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
However, I do note that the instructions recommend disconnecting the battery from the vehicle's + and - system before charging. This is stated in the safety warnings section at the start so I am not sure whether this is a 'elf and safety "issue" or for any other reason. Any idea why this should be?
Most chargers will recommend disconnecting battery terminals while charging just in case they fry electronics - it's the normal 'get out of jail free' clause in case anything goes wrong.

I would suggest disconnecting terminals on a cheap lidl/aldi charger however ctek should be fine.

I have a battery disconnect switch on my campervan which I turned off when using the Lidl charger- just in case.
I've now changed this to a CTEK as accessing the Lidl charger to press the mode button every time I connected to the mains was a bit of a faff.
I've yet to turn off the isolator switch using the CTEK.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 7th July 2020, 12:56 PM

Anyone aware of decent stockists for CTEK range?

I'd normally order from Halfords with my trade card (which makes the 7.0 £79.99) but they've no stock for collection of delivery at the moment.

Lots of other places seem to want to charge £100-150 for the same one.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th July 2020, 02:00 PM

£100 on Amazon Prime at the mo, but you could have it tomorrow. I'm sure its cheaper there too when they haven't got any stock
Old 7th July 2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
£100 on Amazon Prime at the mo, but you could have it tomorrow. I'm sure its cheaper there too when they haven't got any stock

It can be ~£75 from Amazon with Bitcoin https://purse.io/shop

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	23580  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 7th July 2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 7th July 2020, 05:46 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
It can be ~£75 from Amazon with Bitcoin https://purse.io/shop

I thought Purse had (sadly) ceased operations though?:
https://news.bitcoin.com/crypto-mark...after-6-years/
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th July 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post

I thought Purse had (sadly) ceased operations though?:
https://news.bitcoin.com/crypto-mark...after-6-years/
They stopped signing up new members for a week or two and was to stop accepting new orders and eventually to stop operating but due to a lot of interest to purchase company they resumed full operation. It has not been sold yet as far as I am aware but it's likely that it will be sold.

Placed another order today

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200707-232559.png
Views:	442
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	23581  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure