A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 16th November 2012, 10:01 AM

Default Looking for Halogen bulbs upgrade - Xenon look

Hi Guys, what bulbs do I need for a 94' PF Audi A8?

Looks like theres H7, H1, H4 to choose from, but I donīt know which my car runs... also, is there more than one set?(high beems, regular beems and so on)

Here they offer the cool blue look of 4000k with Phillips
http://www.autobixen.dk/shop/h7-blue...on-46218p.html

Is there any better on the market?

I am not interested in a real Xenon upgrade... just something that makes my lights more white...

Thanks in advance

Jake~

Audi A8 4.2 quattro D2 94' - THE CARRIAGE
Audi A4 1.6 B5 95' - THE LADY IN RED
Opel Kadett 1,2 C 77' - THE CASKET
Old 16th November 2012, 10:55 AM

if you want your lights "more white" then you don't really want to be going for the cool blue look ones. Have a look at the recent thread HERE for some advice and very good prices on H7 bulbs from germany (which have since arrived and are excellent)

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 16th November 2012, 11:02 AM

Pure Greatness, thanks Architex_mA8tey Iīll have a look at that thread then

Old 16th November 2012, 11:14 AM

just bought 4 bulbs via the link you posted in the other thread (ebay item 261105186752 )

So does these bulbs both do highbeams and lowbeams?(donīt know what normal position is called) seems like there could be different bulbs in there as I donīt have fog lights down low(like on pf models) they are build into the headlamps.

So the question is... does these 2 bulbs cover everything?

Thanks in advance:-)

Jake

Old 16th November 2012, 11:28 AM

You sure I am running H7?

I am getting this from another page(where I choose my car and year) it gives H1, H3, HB3 and H5w

Old 16th November 2012, 11:51 AM

Hi Jake,

I'd assume you have the same bulb set-up as mine, mines a PF model? The bulbs (sidelight, dipped beam, main beam and fog) are all within the headlight unit, correct? If that's the case then your main and dipped beams are H1 and HB3 bulbs, I fitted them.

I tried for the same thing you're looking for, a brighter level of lighting without going down the Xenon/HID route, just a change-out of the bulbs. I tried Ring XENON Ultima +120% bulbs, after looking at the options, and they were exactly the same as standard, so don't bother with those. I asked the supplier about Osram Night Breakers (a mate at work swears by them, but he drives a Ford, so not such a surprise ) and the bloke answering my call said he'd replaced his Night Breakers with the XENON +120's and these were much better?!? I can only assume that standard Audi bulbs are therefore decent and an upgrade is required, though I'm sure others can enlighten us?

Just trying to save you making the same mistakes I did, happy hunting!

Ronnie

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 16th November 2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks fro the update Norretal, I was toooooo quick and ordered the H7(4 of them) already... seems like they do not fit my car

Yes mine has all lights in the same unit

I guess I will have to seach for H1 and HB3 as you mentioned... atleast now I know which type I need

I'll search some more... thanks

Jake

Old 16th November 2012, 12:10 PM

Low beam is H1, main beam 9005/HB3(same thing, different names) and fog is H3. You don't want cool looking blue/white halogen lamps. The way they achieve this is by colouring glass blue which filters out yellow spectrum of light so you end up with less light. High output bulbs have reduced lifespan because they burn at higher temperatures, Philips Premium +30% is a good compromise between light, price and lifetime. Not sure if it is legal in Norway but you might consider updating H1 lamps with aftermarket HID kit like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-55w-He...item48437eb7a9

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 16th November 2012, 12:24 PM

Well Xenon would be the ultimate way to go... I have to figure out if its legal in Denmark tho.

Is this an easy install? I guessing it would be wise to fiddle with this AFTER the MOT(2 years between MOT's here)

Anyone upgraded to aftermarket Xenons in here? I remember that Carl from A8 Parts wanted to sell me an non-aftermarket Xenon upgrade... I think it included the whole headlamp... which would be the best way to go?

I know in Denmark, you need to have the washers working on the headlamp if you wanna install Xenon... pretty sure mine donīt

Jake~

Old 16th November 2012, 12:49 PM

email the guy in germany and explain that youve ordered the wrong size - he may well have the other sizes you require and at similar good prices, I'm sure it can be sorted. Apologies my H7s and that conversation were for different cars!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs