A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 13th January 2018, 01:50 PM

Default rear spring compatibility

Hi guys. My D2 has sat in my workshop for many months now. Quite a few months ago one of the rear springs broke. I swithered whether to buy a pair of springs or not (I usually always do) The problem was that the original springs were rusted and didnt have the little coloured stripes on them to denote the rates. I eventually found a spring on ebay, brand new that was cheap and for the 2.8. There was only one and as I was planning on selling the car immediately afterwards I thought what the hell I'll just do the one. Almmost immediately after, the other side broke as well. Lesson learned!

Anyway, the car has sat in the workshop ever since due to other commitments. It's geting to a time of year when people might start thinking about buying a car agian though, so I'd like to get it sorted and sold as I really need the space in the workshop. Once the D2 is shifted I can get rid of the A6 as well, then get on with the defender rebuild!

Ive had a look for springs, and I can get 3.7 springs pretty cheap. Are these compatible with the 2.8? I'm not overly bothered about a couple of mm difference in ride height. I can't imagine there can be too much of a difference in standard rear springs between the engines as all the weight is in front of the front axle (obviously there will be a difference between std and sport and swb and lwb). Like I said, I'm not bothered about a few mm, but wouldnt like to fit them and end up with the rear end sitting an inch high.

i cant seem to find 2.8 springs anywhere for a reasonable price. The car is only worth 800 - 1000 on a good day and I'm not keen on spending 150 on springs (plus it needs new front discs, MOT etc) so if these ones will be OK I'll just go for them.
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
2007 A4 3.0TDi s-line cabriolet quattro
2000 A8 D2 2.8 quattro, looking for a new home - gone
2003 A6 3.0 quattro, in the way... anyone want any parts? - gone
Old 13th January 2018, 02:35 PM

The main difference is going to be between standard and sport models. I agree there's not going to be much difference at all between 3.7 and 2.8 rear springs as long as they are both standard or both sport (and both quattro obviously). I'd certainly be inclined to try it.
Old 13th January 2018, 05:16 PM

That was my inclination to be honest. I'll go for it and see what happens. If it looks stupid I can just sell them on (read: keep them forever in the pile of other car bits)
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
Old 14th January 2018, 08:23 PM

have you tried our sponsors here?
apart from anything else they will probably know exactly what fits and what doesn't
Old 11th February 2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
have you tried our sponsors here?
apart from anything else they will probably know exactly what fits and what doesn't

I did and I couldnt find anything for the 2.8. doesnt seem ot have been a very popular engine unsurprisingly. About the same MPG as the 4.2 but half the power. i fiteed the 3.7 springs and the car looks like a crop sprayer. hopefully it will settle. I havent moved it since i fitted them. Struggling to replace the front brakes now!