A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 7th November 2017, 10:39 PM

Default Video/TV input plug for RNS-D

I seem to have an ongoing problem with the Video/TV input to my RNS-D. It's used for the reversing camera and Freeview TV.
Basically the **** thing comes loose and loses the input, usually starting with the sync. There is no "clamping" mechanism unlike most of the other connectors.

So, I'm looking for a solution, ideally a new (tighter fitting) plug that I can either graft on to the input lead or a short M-F lead to act as an extension.

It's a rare/unusual/weird 10-pin (plus shield) DIN-style female socket and male plug (bottom right here). (NOT a mini-DIN, it's full-size!)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th November 2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 7th November 2017, 11:23 PM

What about somewhere like RS Components? Did a search there and came up with these, although not sure about being the correct size:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/indust...ctors/3014428/

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/indust...ctors/3014513/

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 8th November 2017, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the research Sean, but those have the wrong pin spacing/pattern. It is a weird/asymmetric one.
See attached picture:
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th November 2017, 09:39 AM

Could you modify the current DIN plug by adding some tape to it (might need to be metallic tape for the shielding to work) or making a cut and spreading the shield to increase the tension? Another option might be some sort of tie to hold it in place but this could be difficult due to its location.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 8th November 2017, 09:52 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I find Farnell is better for components and connectors, especially since they acquired Newark some years ago, increasing their already vast range of components. They're probably more likely to have it than anyone else:
http://uk.farnell.com/c/connectors

I think that pin configuration is a bit of an oddball though. Had a quick search myself but can't seem to find it. You could try emailing Farnell with the connector image/details; they're usually pretty helpful.

Since it's an AV cable, you could also try Canford Audio: https://www.canford.co.uk/Multi-pin-connectors

So are you saying that the plug is working loose and coming out of the back of the set Andrew? I think I'd be tempted to just put a bit of hot-melt glue around it if that's the case. You can easily pick that stuff back off later if you need to unplug it again.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 8th November 2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
spreading the shield to increase the tension?
That's worth investigating, the outer shell of plugs like that usually has a gap, so I'll investigate and see if I can distort it slightly for a tighter fit.

As for tying or taping it in place, the location really does make that difficult.

I think the angle the RNS-D is mounted at, combined with vibration and tension from other cables in a very crowded area means it is almost doomed to work loose. Ideally it needs some sort of flip-over latch or clip to hold it, similar idea to the wire loops used to retain headlight bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
So are you saying that the plug is working loose and coming out of the back of the set Andrew? I think I'd be tempted to just put a bit of hot-melt glue around it if that's the case. You can easily pick that stuff back off later if you need to unplug it again.
Yes Mark, that's exactly what happens and it needs to be firmly in to engage all the contacts properly.

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th November 2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 8th November 2017, 12:44 PM

I've been having a bit of a play with the RNS-D partly pulled out and it does appear as if the plug isn't making very good contact.
The way the cable leaves the plug, at 90 degrees downwards doesn't help as it's forced up as you slide the unit back in.

I think I'll contact A8 parts and see if they can supply that part of the loom from a car with TV installed and patch it in, though I think the OEM design is the same. (My plug is a non-OEM one on a video input adapter from a now-defunct firm called T-Era.)

Edit: I happen to have an old analogue TV tuner and on checking that has the same socket, so I guess there's a (lengthy) straight-through loom connecting them with this rare plug on each end.

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th November 2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 8th November 2017, 02:04 PM

Thank you Stanley, you've been a great help.

Sometimes the simple low-tech solutions are the best.

I trimmed back the bulky strain relief section of the plug lead so that it could flex away more easily.
Then I trimmed back by about 2mm the plug moulding around the metal screen collar and tested to see how far it went in - still all the way.
So I kept going as far as seemed sensible, removing about 5mm of plastic in total. It was then a much firmer fit.

I think the moulding needs to be trimmed back so that it's 2mm to 3mm "behind" the block inside the plug that the contact pins protrude from.
That will avoid fouling the back of the RNS-D case and allow the plug to be fully inserted.

It's the type of plug used in this Kufatec adapter:

Tested and reassembled, well sort of, the cables aren't totally tidy and the RNS isn't quite seated both sides.
So I need to go back and realign it sometime when my bad back doesn't object to leaning over to do it.

But I now have a good picture on both TV (PAL) and reversing camera (NTSC).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBC2.JPG
Views:	3407
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	17471  

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th November 2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 16th December 2017, 10:38 AM

Just a little update on this problem.
I posted in another thread about losing sync on the RNS-D display on ALL inputs. See: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13675

One interesting symptom of that was (is) that the TV/camera input was definitely the most "sensitive" and quickest to lose synchronisation, not sure why that is though.

I do now recall occasionally noticing "jaggy edges" on the standard simpler displays (radio, CD) for some time but it wasn't really an issue.

Strangely that inherent display problem (probably due to a poorly-seated ribbon cable connector) also served to highlight this one.