A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 8th August 2018, 07:05 AM

There are lots of deals out there at the moment, not primarily around diesel, but around any car that has not yet been homologised as part of the WLTP process. Any cars they have in stock that fail the process need to be registered before 1st Sep or they can’t sell them. Some manufacturers are telling me they may have to scrap them - VW for example has deleted the Golf GTI, so once dealer and pipeline stock is exhausted (and registered before 1st Sep) that is it. I suspect it will reappear when either a new model or facelift launch, as will be down to economics around rework costs vs longevity, as is the case with some BMW 3 series, with new model just around the corner.

We have stopped ordering company cars at the moment, as we were finding that CO2 data was changing between quote and order form, to the extent that is was pushing a drivers BIK up two or three bands - Ford and VW Group were especially bad for this. BMW and Volvo are fully sorted, but given our engine size and effective rental restrictions, that only left the 116d SE Business as an option for 30% of our drivers, hence me pulling the list.

So at present it is a buyers market - dealers need to hit their numbers for volume bonuses still, manufacturers/importers need to hit their numbers, and any stock/pipeline cars not yet homologised have the risk of being scrapped if not registered before 1st Sep.

Grab the deals whilst they are there, as once 1st Sep arrives and all manufacturers need to state WLTP figures as well as NED, all the companies currently holding off ordering, will open the floodgates, and the manufacturers are telling me to expect 16-26 week lead times, which were previously 8-14.

I am taking the opportunity to change my car during this time too, but sadly not to a D5 - it is not different enough to my D4 PI and I don’t like the touch dash, so my A8 ownership will come to an end shortly, hence me shifting all my Audi bits and bobs. I am moving into a new 740d xDrive M Sport and can’t wait!

Thanks
Mark
2015 A8 D4 FL 3.0tdi SE Exec LWB with some options
2012 A8 D4 3.0tdi SE Exec LWB with some options
2009 A8 D3 3.0tdi SE not many options but Viezu mapped to 292bhp
2005 XJ 4.2 V8 Petrol Sovereign LWB with lots of options
2000 XJ 4.0 V8 Petrol Sovereign LWB not many options
+ lots of Fords and Volvo
Old 8th August 2018, 08:50 AM

This had all passed me by. Light reading for those who want to know a bit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldw...Test_Procedure
Wikipedia is oddly very out of date so try this: http://wltpfacts.eu/what-is-wltp-how-will-it-work/

Note that the second documents says, re Sept 2018 "An exception should be made for end-of-series vehicles to allow for a limited number of unsold vehicles in stock that were approved under the old NEDC test to be sold for one more year."
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th August 2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 8th August 2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Wikipedia is oddly very out of date so try this: http://wltpfacts.eu/what-is-wltp-how-will-it-work/
Great link, thanks.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 8th August 2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
I took out an options PCP deal on a Q7 last week, gave me a 24 month warranty FOC at 10.9% APR - would have only cost me £8k over three years, if I hadn't withdrawn on day 1 of the term at a total cost of £8.10 (which given I have 30 days to make payment, and I keep the warranty, is not bad in my book)
I'm rather hoping (hint ) that you might share more about this in the Q7 section. Whilst I know I'm virtually alone in my quest to make the Q7 a more popular model on this forum, I'm rather hoping you might help :-)
Me too please!

I work in the FS industry and the firm I work for provide car finance products (amongst many other things). PCP isn't for everyone, but for the right customer, that D5 offer is a stonking deal.
Old 8th August 2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
There are lots of deals out there at the moment, not primarily around diesel, but around any car that has not yet been homologised as part of the WLTP process. Any cars they have in stock that fail the process need to be registered before 1st Sep or they can’t sell them. Some manufacturers are telling me they may have to scrap them - VW for example has deleted the Golf GTI, so once dealer and pipeline stock is exhausted (and registered before 1st Sep) that is it. I suspect it will reappear when either a new model or facelift launch, as will be down to economics around rework costs vs longevity, as is the case with some BMW 3 series, with new model just around the corner.

We have stopped ordering company cars at the moment, as we were finding that CO2 data was changing between quote and order form, to the extent that is was pushing a drivers BIK up two or three bands - Ford and VW Group were especially bad for this. BMW and Volvo are fully sorted, but given our engine size and effective rental restrictions, that only left the 116d SE Business as an option for 30% of our drivers, hence me pulling the list.

So at present it is a buyers market - dealers need to hit their numbers for volume bonuses still, manufacturers/importers need to hit their numbers, and any stock/pipeline cars not yet homologised have the risk of being scrapped if not registered before 1st Sep.
Thanks - this is really interesting and intriguing.

I probably missed this, but are there any downsides for a private buyer buying pre-Sept 2018, other than potentially a higher road tax bill? Leaving aside the fact the mayor of London will probably take this opportunity to charge pre-68 reg cars too...

Quote:
I am taking the opportunity to change my car during this time too, but sadly not to a D5 - it is not different enough to my D4 PI and I don’t like the touch dash, so my A8 ownership will come to an end shortly, hence me shifting all my Audi bits and bobs. I am moving into a new 740d xDrive M Sport and can’t wait!

Thanks
Mark
Interesting - are you trading in the D4?
Old 8th August 2018, 03:36 PM

Probably just the opposite - at present every car I have seen has higher CO2 emissions, so post Sep or post homologisation, likely that car tax will be higher, as at present there is no adjustment to BIK bands or RfL bands to compensate.

So, buy now.

And yes, trading D4 in for the BMW.
2015 A8 D4 FL 3.0tdi SE Exec LWB with some options
2012 A8 D4 3.0tdi SE Exec LWB with some options
2009 A8 D3 3.0tdi SE not many options but Viezu mapped to 292bhp
2005 XJ 4.2 V8 Petrol Sovereign LWB with lots of options
2000 XJ 4.0 V8 Petrol Sovereign LWB not many options
+ lots of Fords and Volvo