A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 30th March 2018, 08:09 PM

Beat you to it Mike. I've already ordered the bleeder

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 30th March 2018, 08:25 PM

You'll need 2 bar pressure to push the fluid through the ABS unit.
Old 1st April 2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
1 - rear left
2 - front right
3 - rear right
4 - front left
Any insight into why this order? Diagonally opposites... kind of makes sense.
I've always been told to bleed furthest to closest to the reservoir (although with the location of the ABS pump, front left and rear left probably have shorter pipe runs than front right and rear right respectively)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
You'll need 2 bar pressure to push the fluid through the ABS unit.
The Audipages procedure uses a pressure bleeder and states using 10psi. Will the reservoir support 30psi (or 29.4 )?
Or does 2 bar mean absolute (so 1 bar above atmosphere)!

I bought a Mityvac vacuum bleeder (MV8000) to attack it from the caliper end. There are various versions of these pumps around, but Mityvac have a good trade reputation.
I paid about US$55 shipped from Amazon (click here). Just checked Amazon UK for the same item - £50, what a rip off!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 1st April 2018, 08:31 AM

Thats the order in Elsawin. The brake system is split in to two diagonally arranged circuits so its intended to bleed one circuit then the other.

Elsawin also states 2 bar pressure (relative) to push the fluid through the ABS unit. I do this routinely, topping up a spare tyre to just over 2 bar for each corner when using the Gunson tool. The D2 reservoir is just fine with the pressure. I do also routinely inspect the reservoir for cracks or damage though as I did once have an A4 blow it's top off due to UV damage to the plastic. On the A4 you can see the back of the reservoir looking in from the windscreen so it can catch the sun. The D2's is fully covered though so doesn't suffer in the same way.

I've never had much success with the vacuum tools as I've found they always pull air in from the bleed screw threads so you can't tell when the system is actually bled. I much prefer to push the fluid through
Old 14th April 2018, 12:00 PM

Just an update on this. Purchased the pressurised bleeder and finally got around to changing the brake fluid three days ago. Also made sure to have the instructions for the bleeder and the brake bleeding procedure to hand. All in, it took me about two hours to do. A long time you may think, but I wanted to ensure that I was doing everything exactly right and wasn't going to be rushed. Going by the old brake fluid I disposed of, I also bled the lines a little longer than necessary, just to be sure, to be sure, to be sure! So thanks to all who helped.

BTW This is what happens when you're brain is scrambled and you want to change the brake fluid by yourself!

Could have done it just one wheel at a time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180411_162553.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	18438  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds