A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 23rd July 2018, 10:10 PM

The Headland is where I believe the Beatles stayed in days of yore. Hope things are going OK with you Ray
Old 24th July 2018, 08:19 AM

The D3 has air on-board already so all you need is a set of horns and an air solenoid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLfD1AFsb1I

Old 24th July 2018, 05:52 PM

I like it
but then I'm a sadistic barsteward.

Years ago I fitted two truck horns on a coach and fed it from the air reservoir. Used two bicycle gear change levers and bowden cables to operat them, meant I could blow either or both.

Never thought of the D3 air suspension, but I did say my two gray cells do not communicate.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 25th July 2018, 11:00 AM

when I was a (fairly horrible) teenager, I installed one of those manual air horns that people used to take to football matches into the drinks holder thingy on my bicycle handlebars and then regularly used it to scare the bejeezers out of any unsuspecting or slow foot traffic walking along the lanes I used to cycle to school. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41rxKReR1oL._SY355_.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	19851  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 25th July 2018, 02:18 PM

I had a Colonel Bogey in my earlier years, also had a wolf whistle thingy that ran on the air intake manifold negative pressure.
I really started something with this.
Having a day off in Torquay tomorrow so it's safe for you to venture out.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 1st August 2018, 02:38 PM

Hello Ray, sorry for the delay, the top two links are to a 100w slim power sounder. It is basically a powerful 1Kg tweeter with no horn, but a weatherproof shroud. The other links are just for fun.

http://responsevehiclelighting.co.uk...-100-Watt.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLIM-Heav...n/172299843214

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...841124956.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...840628368.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...827664302.html
Old 2nd August 2018, 04:43 PM

Thanks Snap,
Certainly something to consider now that I am officially in my second childhood!!!
AND no Gwen to curtail my extravagances.

Old 2nd August 2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I like this one the best, with the megaphone facility. Then the idiots in front of me would really hear what I had to say about their driving.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd August 2018, 07:09 PM

Had some time today after a service made the old lady ready to munch some more miles and have progressed this a little farther.
In the fuse box at the left hand end of the dash there is a 15 Amp fuse marked as "Horn". I'm not sure if that feeds the relay coil only because the Current Flow Diagram shows the coil (via the horn button) is fed via the "Onboard Power Supply Control Unit" whilst the contacts are fed from somewhere in the cloud.
I, in my simple way, thought dead easy peasy, wrong. To get to the horns the front has to be dropped. I had a go at that and gave up after two hours trying and that was only the offside wheel area.
So new plan, disconnect the horn wire from the relay, run a new wire to somewhere the air horn will fit.

Where the bloodie hell is "A97-0403?
According to the book it is behind the driver's dash which in the UK I think is behind the glove box. I've struggled and gone in with a mega power torch and can't find anything that looks like the drawing.
Perhaps I'm working on the wrong car!!!
So easy way for me is to find a volunteer that knows what he is doing to drop the front for me while I fiddle, and then let him put it all back together again.
I've only gone and split the skin on my hand again and have had to wash the red out of the car again.
Hope that all makes sense.
Tuesday 7th August I'm off to Edinburgh for the Tattoo. No idea of the hotel yet just know three days/two nights.

Last edited by tc4332; 3rd August 2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 30th August 2018, 08:56 AM

Update * * * Update
Managed to find the relay, under the dash behind the steering wheel.
After stripping the dash I could see it
I could put my sticky paw on it
But the bloodie thing would not come out.
There is a thing that you have to slide at the top to release the module. Mine would not slide so I gave up. Put it all back together so I could head off to the Germany meet.
I fitted the air horn inside the plenum with it's own supply via a push button in the cab. It works and is loud. But the sound is obnoxious.
Back to the drawing board.

I now have a sounder, a big heavy all weather horn.

Snap, the module you sent me works and is suitably loud. Tried it on the dining table and woke up all the grandkids, something new during school holidays.

Mark, I like your Train whistle. I'll order the amp and the foghorn module to have a play.

Might have a few days to play with it this weekend.

Bought a new PC for son Craig, now I'm sort of jealous, big black box, curved screen and fast gaming machine.
Bought a new laptop for me but could not sign into anything . All my passwords etc. have a letter "y" in them and after some time resolved to the "y" key not working. Probably an improvement on Homer Simpson's "any key" problem. Taking it back today.