A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 10th May 2017, 10:42 PM

Default No TV tuner, what are my options for external audio

My car does not have a built in TV tuner and if I press the CD/TV button on the MMI I only get the CD changer for input options.

This also means there is no red plug under the Satnav drive that I could connect a Fusion BT module too.

Has anyone retro fitted one of these bluetooth or aux-in modules with out a TV tuner fitted? I dont want to splash out on an AMI upgrade so this Fusion bluetooth add-on seamed like a good idea until I checked and found I didn't have the usual wiring that everyone uses to hock it up.

Many thanks.
Bo

Last edited by s2_bo; 11th May 2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 24th May 2017, 01:56 PM

My understanding is that if you don't have the TV tuner then you don't have the RCA sockets required for the audio and don't have the option enabled on the MMI to allow you to select any other input.

Therefore the only options are a plug FM transmitter, or an AMI with either iPod or Aux connectivity.

If you have iPod then of course you can then use a 30pin connector with a bluetooth adapter to get bluetooth streaming from your phone.

I have the same issue hence looking for someone to provide me the part number for the AMI I need
Old 24th May 2017, 03:26 PM

You do get MMI loop extension kits to drop in stuff like the Dension units from Kufatec (and probably ebay)

I know.. I know..

Old 25th May 2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
You do get MMI loop extension kits to drop in stuff like the Dension units from Kufatec (and probably ebay)
If all I want to do is be able to stream Spotify from my phone to the system (B&O +MMI 2G) then what's my cheapest option for affordable and high fidelity sound?

When I say high fidelity it'll be high quality on the phone but streaming across bluetooth.

I could go £400 for AMI and Incar3000 (or whatever it's called) but aren't there cheaper options?

I was thinking AMI from eBay for £200 then fit myself if it's easy enough but if a Dension kit would be cheaper and easier then I'm all for that :-)
Old 25th May 2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbs View Post
I was thinking AMI from eBay for £200 then fit myself if it's easy enough but if a Dension kit would be cheaper and easier then I'm all for that :-)
Cheapest option would be a Dension kit. But I do prefer the AMI as it's better integrated into the MMI. The AMI 2G I have is part 4E0035785C. For a few years I had both the AMI and CD installed and have never used the CD in that time. So for an easy installation, max 10mins, I would swap the CD for the AMI once your MMI firmware is up to date.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 25th May 2017, 01:17 PM

Ah... so I'll need to update MMI firmware as well?

Don't even know where to begin on that, will have to do some more digging around

I also need to diagnose why I'm getting TPMS error and parking sensors not working so am considering a VAG-COM - seems there are cables and software on eBay quite cheaply
Old 25th May 2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbs View Post
am considering a VAG-COM - seems there are cables and software on eBay quite cheaply
Beware, you usually get what you pay for and genuine cables invariably command a genuine price.

Probably rather more now than in the past as the licensing of new products is more carefully managed/limited than before.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!