A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 3rd March 2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I think my mother's traditional ye olde fashioned home WiFi can better that Nick!
Look at that latency, was the server you were testing to on moon?

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:17 AM

Ray, are you in the future?

Our (Vodafone) ASDL is slower than my mobile (Three) provider’s data. We should really switch, but whichever provider we’re with we repeatedly have problems after 6 months of switching. Very odd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0019CBFE-4DD2-4D88-81B6-30A98BCC0895.png
Views:	284
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	20923   Click image for larger version

Name:	8D77807E-72B5-4E66-9664-89A5BBC515EA.png
Views:	287
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	20924  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:49 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Mark,
I could visit you and bring a plastic bucket full of speed just for you
You can't put it in a plastic bucket, silly.

You need to use a metal bucket to keep internets in
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 4th March 2019, 10:00 AM

Been on Virgin for a while and getting north of 380Mbps on my PC which is ethernetted into the Superhub 3 modem/router directly. Happy with that speed.

The Superhub is the weakest thing about Virgin. The MAC address filter just doesn't work - never has, appartently known issue - there is none of the parental control stuff on the router itself and I don't think the wifi has great coverage.

I work from home a few days in the week and have a bit of a home office in a garden cabin. I would say it's only 10 metres from the Superhub but the speed on a PC in there drops to about 40-60Mbps, even on the 5Ghz wifi network.

While I appreciate this is better than a lot of folk get to their house, it's not the 380 I get indoors - I am getting the odd dropout and streaming is not always glitch-free.

I tell you all that to tell you this:

Last week I took delivery of a Netgear R9000 router. I was hoping it would push out a stronger wifi signal. Well it did. I was seeing around 100-120 Mbps outside. The thing is - from the minute I switched it on, I got a headache. Like a dull tingling in my sinus and temples. When I powered it off, it went instantly.

It's the same when I enable the wifi hotspot on my phone (a Pixel) - I am sure it can't be doing me any good. I have googled it and there is conflicting data (like anything else on the internet) but I am sure about the headache. I couldn't live with it as I would be sleeping directly above it. I could feel the headache in the office outside.

It's definitely the wifi I am sensitive to - I guess the Virgin box isn't pushing it out enough for me to notice, or I have got numb to that. But just wondering if anyone else here gets the same symptoms? Some reports say the condition "Can't exist".

I've had to return it to Amazon the morning after taking delivery.
Old 4th March 2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J i m s t e r View Post
I work from home a few days in the week and have a bit of a home office in a garden cabin. I would say it's only 10 metres from the Superhub but the speed on a PC in there drops to about 40-60Mbps, even on the 5Ghz wifi network.
"even on"... you mean "especially on" surely?
5Ghz has worse transmission/coverage than 2.4Ghz and is more prone to blockage by buildings etc.

My router (a BT Homehub of some variety) is near my front door so I have a second Wi-Fi node (different name, linked over the mains) at the back near a patio door. Gives excellent coverage onto the patio and down the whole length of my garden.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th March 2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I tell you all that to tell you this:

Last week I took delivery of a Netgear R9000 router. I was hoping it would push out a stronger wifi signal. Well it did. I was seeing around 100-120 Mbps outside. The thing is - from the minute I switched it on, I got a headache. Like a dull tingling in my sinus and temples. When I powered it off, it went instantly.

It's the same when I enable the wifi hotspot on my phone (a Pixel) - I am sure it can't be doing me any good. I have googled it and there is conflicting data (like anything else on the internet) but I am sure about the headache. I couldn't live with it as I would be sleeping directly above it. I could feel the headache in the office outside.

It's definitely the wifi I am sensitive to - I guess the Virgin box isn't pushing it out enough for me to notice, or I have got numb to that. But just wondering if anyone else here gets the same symptoms? Some reports say the condition "Can't exist".

I've had to return it to Amazon the morning after taking delivery.
Well, wifi is in the microwave frequency band, and we're mostly water...

Frankly I'm surprised this isn't a more common phenomenon.
Old 4th March 2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
The Superhub is the weakest thing about Virgin. The MAC address filter just doesn't work - never has, appartently known issue - there is none of the parental control stuff on the router itself and I don't think the wifi has great coverage.
I agree, mine has only ever been run in modem mode. It's controlled by my own router which feeds into switch and internal/external APs.
Old 4th March 2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Have you considered trying a Powerline adaptor to the cabin? I'm assuming it has a mains supply to it if you're using it as a home office. Prices start from £24

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...-criteria.html

Quote:
Last week I took delivery of a Netgear R9000 router. ... The thing is - from the minute I switched it on, I got a headache. Like a dull tingling in my sinus and temples. When I powered it off, it went instantly.

It's definitely the wifi I am sensitive to.
I suspect that you're not going to like it when 5G cell towers start popping up everywhere. There has been no scientific studies done on the effects of 5G on humans or the environment, unlike previous versions, and since 5G operates at a higher frequency, it can penetrate the body further.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 4th March 2019, 01:19 PM

I know the 2 v 5 arguments, but the 5 should be good at 10m, surely? The obstacles to it (line of sight) are a patio door and a wood wall on the office made from 2" thick wood. If I was in a Grade II-Listed Hall with foot thick granite, I would understand.

I also use Devolo homeplugs but the wifi repeater one I tried outside in the office didn't get a great signal over the mains, despite being in the optimal plug. Ideal solution would be a long ethernet cable but in all honesty I can't be @rsed with that - that is what wifi is for

I do wonder though if the next "Mega" Virgin router is going to be a headache-job.
Old 4th March 2019, 01:41 PM

If it's a modern patio door chances are the glass will have a thin metal film on it to reduce radiate heat loss; makes a good Wi-Fi signal blocker.
My patio doors are old-school so don't cause that problem, hence I get reception over 100ft away at the far end of the garden.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!