A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > A4/S4/RS4 B8

A4/S4/RS4 B8 2008 Onwards

Old 14th January 2012, 12:37 AM

Default 2008 (58) A4 issues?

Hi there,

I had to say good bye to my 2000 A8 as it was proving just too expensive to keep on the road in Ireland. Anyway I still have a great fondness for Audi's so want to pick up a late 2008 2.0 litre TDI SE model.

I picked up my last car in the UK and am thinking of doing the same again. However I wondered did any of you know of any inherent problems with them that I should be aware of. I know there can be issues with DPFs but I am not sure how bad this actually is.

Looking at spending about 11k on one as it will cost about another 3k to import it. Tell me about the Irish tax system, they are very efficient at thinking of ways to generate revenue . Spending that kind of money not too keen on private sales, so besides the autotrader can you recommend other sites means for locating nice clean examples in the UK.

Thanks all

Niall

2000 A8 4.2 Quattro – Green, S8 18’s, Xenons, PhatBox, and loads of other toys.
Old 14th January 2012, 03:43 AM

It will cost more, but for peace of mind I'd have thought the official Audi approved used cars would be a good bet, not sure though if their warranty extends to Ireland
Old 14th January 2012, 08:31 AM

Hi Niall good to hear from you and sorry to hear the 8 has gone
I had a B8 A4 for the last 3 years as a work horse and put 75000 miles on it - although mine was a 2.0T rather than a diesel. Most of my issues were around clutch /gears and manifold, but the manifold was specific to the 2.0T I think
If you go for the manual gearbox its a corker but just check the clutch and operation of first gear when cold to make sure theres no difficulty getting first gear and reverse. Also check for windscreen leaks at the top near the mirror (sometimes you can see where water has leaked down inside when you huff on the inner glass)

Personally I would go for a manual gearbox or s-tronic and stay a mile away from a multi-tronic variable transmission, they sound awful and drive awful in my opinion.

Check all electrics as they are fairly solid mechanically and their weakness tends to be internal cabin electrics and radio etc etc

Here's a buyers guide from Which magazine in a sec - hope it helps

Which Magazine AUDI A4 B8 Buyers Guide

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 14th January 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 14th January 2012, 09:18 PM

Hey there,

Thanks very much for that doc, it is really useful. Can you leave it there for a few days so I can get to it again?

Have been looking at manual versions of the 143bhp version. Does your one have parking sensors. Saw in the review and in practice that rear visibility is a little poor.

If you were spending your own money (and not buying an 8) would you buy one?

Thanks and take care.

Niall

Old 14th January 2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
It will cost more, but for peace of mind I'd have thought the official Audi approved used cars would be a good bet, not sure though if their warranty extends to Ireland
Thanks sarg, enforcing a UK warranty here might be a challenge. Irish dealers are not obliged to honor a UK warranty, some may but many would not.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

N

Old 14th January 2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder22 View Post
Hey there,

Thanks very much for that doc, it is really useful. Can you leave it there for a few days so I can get to it again?

Have been looking at manual versions of the 143bhp version. Does your one have parking sensors. Saw in the review and in practice that rear visibility is a little poor.

If you were spending your own money (and not buying an 8) would you buy one?

Thanks and take care.

Niall
Yep its there until i remove it but you can normally also right click on the link and select "save target as" and save it to your own computer if you wish to.

My A4 has gone as of last September, replaced by an A7 Sportback 3.0 Tdi s-line (yes i liked it so much when they lent me one to try that I ordered one!)
I didnt have parking sensors on my A4 but yes its true that its a good option to have if you can as visibility isnt as good as some other saloon cars.
Well mine was a company car but i did choose it and I had a free choice to get what I wanted at the time. Yes I loved it, it did pretty most everything I asked of it but when i got it the sportbacks weren't around and I really wanted a larger hatchback for work reasons

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs