A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 2nd February 2015, 04:14 PM

Default Moving up to 20's at last

I know my S8 isn't an FE, it's actually later than most of those and first registered in late 2003.
But it only has 18" wheels, summer and winter.

I've just ordered a full set of five FE 20" wheels from our sponsor which will need a full refurb before use later in the year.

The plan is to use the factory-fit 18" FL Avus wheels as winter wheels next year, so I will move the tyres to them from my current 18" winter wheels once this winter is over.

The current (five) winter wheels are the PF S8 Avus design and they will probably be available in a few months time, possibly with some part-worn summer tyres. If anyone is interested please PM me, they are in reasonably good nick though most could probably do with a minor refurb due to a few scratches and scrapes. Hub caps are all in good condition.

My plan is to have the new 20" wheels looking great and with new rubber for the summer meet in Wales.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 2nd February 2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 2nd February 2015, 06:51 PM

Excellent. They will look great with fresh refurbishment and new rubber. Let me know when the old 18's come up. I still need some winters at some point when funds permit.

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 2nd February 2015, 07:08 PM

OK, will do. The PF 18" Avus make pretty good winters as the faces and rims are less exposed to kerbs than the FL version.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th February 2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I've just ordered a full set of five FE 20" wheels from our sponsor which will need a full refurb before use later in the year.
And they've arrived. All nicely packed and the delivery guy was a car enthusiast (Triumph Herald!) so we had a bit of a chat while he unloaded.

The tyres however are a different matter, not that I was expecting any that I would use.
There is one single wheel that our sponsors have had for a little while, that had a decent-brand 255/35R20 the size I think I would expect, but old and worn so maybe a possible spare once it's been checked?
The other four came from a recent arrival and were a mixed bunch to say the least. One 255/35R20 and three 255/30R20.
And the tyre brands were all different, two I'd never even heard of!

Based on this I don't think it had been owned recently by anyone here.......

I'm sort of tempted (subject to checking it's OK) to keep the single wheel "as is" as a spare (not refurbed) as it's still got much of its original finish (see photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spare20.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	10097  

Last edited by HPsauce; 4th February 2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 4th February 2015, 02:45 PM

No Andrew - get them all done. You'll regret it if you don't!

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 4th February 2015, 02:56 PM

A spare wheel well should look like this.........

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 4th February 2015, 04:27 PM

Mine looks just like that too

Ref the elderly tyre, I threw away an original pilot sport with good tread as it was as old as the car! There's no set age limit for three as its use and conditions that influence a tyre's life more.

I also had the conundrum about refurbishing my original diamond cut wheel to match the powder coated ones - in the end I did as it means I can alternate the wheels if I need to. My current spare is the best of the pilot sports that the previous owner had fitted in 2010. I have another spare that also dates to 2010 if it's any use? It's stored in the roof of my garage

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 4th February 2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Peach View Post
get them all done. You'll regret it if you don't!
As the others have to be repainted I'm going to leave this alone for now and investigate if the diamond cut finish can be resuscitated.
If it can I'm sure there's someone out there who would want it, otherwise I'll match it to the others.
Old 4th February 2015, 07:11 PM

HP, I've had some 275/30/20 tyres from my RS6 sat in the garage for a year, about 5-6mm iirc, Contis I think. Can check if you're interested in taking them off my hands. I changed to Goodyear Eagle F1's, nothing wrong with the Contis, was just my preference.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 4th February 2015, 07:16 PM

Thanks Amar, but would they not be too wide as 255/35 is I think the norm?