A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 3rd December 2016, 05:54 PM

I just thought I will throw this in the mix - on our a6 the linkages are not that bad but the shafts on which wiper arms attach are worn, water gets in the bushes causes corrosion buildup that slows and even locks up movement. I clean them and grease with ACF50 2 or 3 times a year to keep them going otherwise resistance is too great and just triggers over current protection

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 22nd January 2017, 04:50 PM

The Laird donated his 3 spare windscreen wiper mechanisms to me today rather than get the house removers to move them to his new house so I thought I would start looking at the issues. Investigation of the three mechanisms appears to show that shows that any play in the system seems to be in the connections either end of the 2nd, short, arm between the gold coloured arm on the motor drive shaft and the first (driver side) wiper actuator.
Looking at one of the joints shows (2nd picture) shows considerable wear wear whereas the second one (despite the torn seal) seems to have more unworn metal. So I have re-assembled the good mechanism (with a good motor) using lots of EP grease in the joint, and will look to put this in the car as soon as I get it off the jacks in The Lairds garage where it is awaiting re-furbished calipers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3467.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	518.2 KB
ID:	15446   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3459.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	15447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3461.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	15448   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3462.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	15449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3463.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	15450   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3464.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	15451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3465.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	15452   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3466.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	15453  
Old 13th May 2017, 09:04 AM

Default Wierd Behaviour

Having finally got around to fitting this mechanism last night (well i was out the country for two months) and this one shows some strange behaviour. The parking position of the wipers appears to be in the middle of the arc swept by the wipers and not where it should be. i.e. at the bottom of the sweep . I had made sure that the motor drive arm was bolted up with the mechanism in the same (parked) configuration as the one I removed. I need to investigate further today but any ideas??
Old 13th May 2017, 09:25 AM

The relevant pages of this manual might help adjust David?

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...5&d=1420350463

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 13th May 2017, 09:33 AM

Thanks - buts its not adjustment but where the system "thinks" the parked position is. At the moment it thinks its in the middle of the sweep!
Old 13th May 2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Thanks - buts its not adjustment but where the system "thinks" the parked position is. At the moment it thinks its in the middle of the sweep!
Yes I get that but it must mean the mechanism has slipped around and needs adjusting surely?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 13th May 2017, 10:21 AM

I dont think it is the mechanism - but i might be wrong. Perhaps I wasnt clear but it sweeps either side of the parked position. If I were to adjust the mechanism so that the parked position is at the bottom of the screen it would try to clean the engine bay and half the screen
Old 13th May 2017, 01:15 PM

Neil is right - the motor spindle and arm are in the wrong place relative to each other.

Remove the wiper arms first. Then remove the arm from the motor spindle and run the motor through a complete cycle until it stops in its park position. Then, set the mechanism to 'parked' and put the arm back on the spindle and run it through a couple more cycles to make sure everything runs smoothly. Finally, put the arms back on in the park position.

Old 13th May 2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Neil is right - the motor spindle and arm are in the wrong place relative to each other.

Remove the wiper arms first. Then remove the arm from the motor spindle and run the motor through a complete cycle until it stops in its park position. Then, set the mechanism to 'parked' and put the arm back on the spindle and run it through a couple more cycles to make sure everything runs smoothly. Finally, put the arms back on in the park position.

I did indeed try to do that but maybe I got it wrong. Its all off the car at the moment and I will do it again when the midges allow - its an overcast, damp day here and the midges are fierce .
Old 16th May 2017, 01:04 PM

I changed the motor to the one that just came off the car and, after mounting the spindle in exactly the same way, the wipers now function as they should ...and it has got rid of the annoying, noisy over-run caused by slapping on the scuttle and the drivers side pillar. Result. (even had some rain in which to test it!)
So, just little wear on the various joints, when accumulated throughout the mechanism, causes significant oversweep which, in my case, amounted to some 30-50mm at either end of the sweep. I just hope that this refurbished -but still 2nd hand - mechanism lasts a few years.

Tags
wiper failure