A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 27th July 2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Looks like they're available from about £30 for a cheapo brand, up to about £70-£80 for a Febi Bilstein.
At last a part that costs less than I expected!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 30th July 2018, 07:30 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Never done it myself but it looks like a relatively straightforward job. Page 148 here:
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...8&d=1420349882

Assuming your engine is the same as mine Jim (AVP), the part number appears to be 077121350D
http://www.realoem.me/Audi/RDW/A8Q/2...1/121/121095#5

Looks like they're available from about £30 for a cheapo brand, up to about £70-£80 for a Febi Bilstein.
Thanks Mark
It looks quite straightforward, if I had a pin wrench, but why does it say to remove the bumper?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 30th July 2018, 07:51 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I don't know. Perhaps for better accessibility or to reduce the risk of accidentally damaging the radiator. Is there enough room to get at it without taking the bumper off (my car's still in the garage so I can't check).

I found this, which suggests an alternative to the pin wrench. Seems to be a for a PF A8 but it may help:
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...n_removal.html

Quote:
Using a 10mm wrench on one of the four fan pulley bolts to hold the fan still, loosen the large nut holding the fan onto the pulley
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:56 PM

Hi Mikki,

I am getting ready to do this swap. Is this the right part number for the RS6 idler pulley please?

077903341H

No. 26 in the picture.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RS6 vbelt.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	21556  
Old 3rd May 2019, 02:39 PM

Yeah that's the one Still available from Audi last time I checked. Mike and I have laser-cut alloy plates for mounting the Spal fan now too if you want one.
Old 3rd May 2019, 07:05 PM

Thanks Mikki, yes please can I have a laser cut aluminium shroud? How much are they?
Damn those pulleys aren't cheap.
Should I get a new bolt for the pulley or reuse the old one?
Old 3rd May 2019, 07:53 PM

£65 odd aren't they? Or have they gone up? I believe the pulley comes complete with the bearing so you shouldn't need to change the bolt.

I'll check with Mike what the mounting plate costs as we need to get a few cut
Old 4th May 2019, 04:29 PM

I saw some prices in $ around 160 which got me worried it will be similar in £. £65 wouldn't be so bad. Should I try the dealer or TPS?
By the way I saw you mentioned the new fan on speed 1 is not quite enough for aircon, did you try both fans on speed 1, what was the amp draw?
I may leave the stock fan on speed 1 and add the new one in parallel.
Old 20th May 2019, 03:56 PM

I may have solved my overheating problem, went to locate the twin thermostat in the radiator to find some numpty left it unplugged!
At least it should be a free fix, hopefully its still working.

I am still going to try the electric fan conversion.
Old 20th May 2019, 04:23 PM

D'oh!

We've ordered more fan surround panels btw. I'll let you know when they land

The new fan is too many amps to run in parallel with the original btw, although you could wire in a separate supply for it. Mine works nicely with it on speed 2 though. When its idling the second fan cuts in and out as needed, with the original running constantly at speed 1.