A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 7th September 2017, 10:34 AM

So, it's been exactly a year exactly since rescuing the beast and putting her back on the road after extensive amount of work.
Shortly after getting her all shiny a gazebo has badly scratched my both passenger doors and the chrome strip running along the roof.
I'm trying to stay away from resprays now, so It's been a while until I managed to source both doors in Daytona Grey with original paint.
In the meantime I have also bought few other bits and it looks like I will ''celebrate'' 1st year of ownership with even more work being done this month.

Here is the full list of things to do:
- tyres with new TPMS sensors and valves (already done)
- replace chrome trim along the roof
- replace both passenger doors inc swapping the wiring loom from Bose to B&O
- replace 2 door handles
- replace all 4 top door chrome trims (found an easy way without removing the window frame) - 1 already replaced
- replace all 4 soft close latches for newer version (3 of them currently not working
- replace all double glazed door glass (3 are showing signs of de-lamination, something I have noticed only on S8's with black tint version glass ???) - 1 already replaced
- replace both alu mirror covers due to few deep stone chips - already done
- swap Sport all leather seats, front and back, for Sport Alcantara seats (middle part only). Rear seats are electrics (lumbar support only) so will have to wire them in.
- service inc. engine flush, 2 oil changes and fuel filter and windscreen wipers
- replace all 4 Ceramic brakes, discs, calipers inc new bleed valves with dust caps - I've got a full set of Ceramics with 60k miles less than mine, that's good enough reason for me to swap them.
- replace both AFS II LED DRL Bi-Xenon headlights for a pair of identical lights but with 60k miles less - stone chips are one thing, but you'll be surprised how much brighter and whiter are the LEDs on the new pair - already done
- replace alternator due to slight coolant leak
- replace front suspension arms and anti-roll bar

All parts are already in the garage so all I'm missing now is few days to get it all swapped.
It's a lot of work so wish me luck.

Any advice in regards to any of the jobs ??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 7th September 2017, 10:53 AM

Well done Marcin!

Quote:
- replace both passenger doors inc swapping the wiring loom from Bose to B&O
There was a guy near me selling a full B&O system with door cards for £500, it was on ebay. Did you buy that?

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 7th September 2017, 11:04 AM

Default This seems appropriate...

...maybe to listen to whilst working on it

https://youtu.be/6Mgix8dliAA

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 7th September 2017, 11:40 AM

Couldn't you almost buy another car with the cost of all that? Your dedication to the cause is superb - I applaud you
Old 7th September 2017, 02:24 PM

replace all 4 top door chrome trims (found an easy way without removing the window frame) - 1 already replaced

Any more details regarding this? How-to?

Regards
Kenneth
Old 7th September 2017, 02:55 PM

Tintin,
That's perfect, I will get it on USB stick and play it on B&O while swearing and sweating most likely when doing all this work

Matt,
I've got B&O from factory and doors I have were pre-wired for Bose system, it's not a big job at all so no dramas here. One think I've noticed is that newer soft close latches have 3 pin connectors instead of 2 pin. Same wiring, you just leave middle pin empty so it's only a matter of stripping plugs and swapping them over from the Bose version harness.

1781cc (it's been a while since I'be been on the forum and I have bloody forgot your name, sorry buddy ),
Well....yeah, initial cost is about £9k , but I'm getting money back and I get lots of stuff done plus I really get attached to the cars, don't like changing cars at all. I usually stick to the car, spend endless hours around it, I throw money in them like buckets of water and then clean them every other weekend for few hours. I find it very soothing, it gives my missus some ''space'' and I enjoy being on the driveway and around the cars a lot.
Saying that, decision was prompt by me loosing out recently on a lovely Blue well spec'd 09 plate RS6 avant. After that I've decided that's it, I'll get majority of things which annoy me sorted and will stick with her for now due to having at the minute enough expenses with planning a 2nd child, new business, holidays and all that, so buying D4 S8, which isn't V10 is not my priority at the minute - I'm happy with my car ... almost

Picked new bleed valves from Audi today for all 4 calipers today so it looks like I'm doing brakes this weekend and maybe rear door, not sure yet.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.

Last edited by M-A8; 7th September 2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 7th September 2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOR_KNet View Post
replace all 4 top door chrome trims (found an easy way without removing the window frame) - 1 already replaced

Any more details regarding this? How-to?

Regards
Kenneth
Well, easier than removing and realigning the window frame.
There are 5 or 6, can't remember now, plastic clips.
Last one, front, is well tucked in inline with the bolt holding the wing mirror more less.
Take a 5mm wide flat head screwdriver, min 25cm long, bend the flat end about 2mm off centre and it will allow you to access the last fixing. Bend end makes it much easier to pull out the middle plastic pin/rivet, whatever is called.
I can get some pics later on if you want.

Obviously you have to remove the door's alu insert panel so you've got just the door shell left. You need it off anyway no matter which method you will use.
When you remove all plastic ''rivets'' (reusable) trim just pops off.
When refitting you dont need to put back the tricky clip/rivet back because wing mirror sits on top of the chrome trim holding it down.
Trim it self is very rigid due to chunky base made from a hard plastic and i checked if it flaps without the wing mirror and it doesn't, you'll fit the mirror anyway.
It's almost impossible to refit the last clip, I say almost because I believe it's possible if you find the fairly easy way to do it.

Similar situation with the rears, but I'll know for sure when I get the back ones swapped. There seems to be a bit more room around the last clip so there is a chance of putting all the clips back on.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 7th September 2017, 08:04 PM

Have you checked the doors are a good paint match before you go to the hassle of fitting them ? Even factory paint can vary in terms of shade depending on when the cars were painted.
Serious dedication though, it'll be a cracking car when you're done.
Old 8th September 2017, 07:52 AM

Hey Marcin, good to see progress on the S8, even a little setback has not put you off.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 12th September 2017, 10:39 AM

Joe,
Well, i think there is a slight difference between the front door and front wing, I haven't looked at it properly yet so not sure if it's just the light or maybe wing was re-sprayed before It's not in your face at all and I still need to fit the rear door.

Manny,
To be honest they both has put me off a little, S8 and previous A8, but then as always I regrouped, got my act together and started putting some serious hours in order to go thru all the jobs as quickly as possible and as many as possible.

I'm already having little troubles. After removing passenger's front wheel I've noticed grease splattered everywhere. Looks like just before I got her off road for this work to be done, inner CV boot has failed.
So front brakes are completely off same as both drive shafts due to driver side CV boot showing some worrying signs of perishing and being on the edge of failing as well.

So a pair of driveshafts in very good condition, much lower miles and CV boots in good nick as well will be fitted most likely tomorrow, just waiting for 2x new hub bolts and 12x spline driveshaft bolts from Audi.

Will get some pics and more updates by the end of the week hopefully.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10